Starting with Spivak - question

• Thread starter robjow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spivak
The domain is not -16 to π/3 + 1. It should be -18 to π/3 - 1.In summary, in the introduction to functions chapter of Spivak's calculus book, the function f(x) = x^2 is defined for all x such that -17 ≤ x ≤ π/3. The author then asserts that for the function defined above, f(x+1) = f(x) + 2x + 1 if -17 ≤ x ≤ (π/3) - 1. The person asking the question expresses confusion about the negative one at the end of the domain, but the author clarifies that the graph of y = f(x+1) is a parabola
robjow
Hey, I'm just starting out with calculus and am giving the Spivak book a try per threads on here. In the introduction to functions chapter spivak defines a function f(x) =x^2. for all x such that -17 ≤ x ≤ π/3
Then says you should be able to check the following assertion about the function defined above:

f(x+1) = f(x) + 2x + 1 if -17 ≤ x ≤ (π/3) - 1

I don't understand why there a negative one is now needed at the end of the domain

Mathematics news on Phys.org
-18 ≤ x ≤ (π/3) - 1 is the domain of f(x+1)
-17 ≤ x ≤ (π/3) is the domain of f(x)
-17 ≤ x ≤ (π/3) - 1 is the domain the two share

edit:to correct error

Last edited:
thanks for your reply,

That doesn't make sense to me.

My incorrect thinking goes like this..

What is f(x+1) actually saying? To me its saying: apply the function f (which is to square) to the domain x (defined above) +1..making the domain of f(x+1) -16 to π/3 + 1

Shouldn't the domain of f(x+1) be -18 ≤ x ≤ (π/3) - 1??

robjow said:
That doesn't make sense to me.

My incorrect thinking goes like this..

What is f(x+1) actually saying? To me its saying: apply the function f (which is to square) to the domain x (defined above) +1..making the domain of f(x+1) -16 to π/3 + 1
The graph y = f(x + 1) is the graph of y = f(x) shifted (translated) one unit to the left. Since the domain of y = f(x) is -17 ≤ x ≤ π/3, the domain of y = f(x + 1) will be -18 ≤ x ≤ π/3 - 1. IOW, the original interval shifted one unit to the left.

Forget the weird domain for a moment. You know what the graph of y = f(x) = x2 looks like, right? The graph of y = g(x) = f(x + 1) is a parabola the opens up, and whose vertex is at (-1, 0). Every point on the shifted parabola is one unit to the left of its corresponding point on the graph of y = f(x).

robjow said:
Shouldn't the domain of f(x+1) be -18 ≤ x ≤ (π/3) - 1??
Yes, which is different from what you said above.

Related to Starting with Spivak - question

What is "Starting with Spivak - question"?

"Starting with Spivak - question" is a popular learning resource for students in mathematics and physics, written by mathematician Michael Spivak. It covers a wide range of topics, including calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations, and provides clear and concise explanations of key concepts.

Who is Michael Spivak?

Michael Spivak is a mathematician and author, known for his contributions to differential geometry, topology, and calculus. He is also the founder of Publish-or-Perish Press and has written several books, including "Calculus" and "The Joy of TeX".

Is "Starting with Spivak - question" suitable for beginners?

While "Starting with Spivak - question" covers some advanced topics, it is written in a way that is accessible to beginners. The book includes many examples and exercises to help readers understand the concepts and develop their problem-solving skills.

Can "Starting with Spivak - question" be used as a textbook?

Yes, "Starting with Spivak - question" can be used as a textbook for courses in mathematics and physics. It is often used as a supplement to standard textbooks, as it provides additional explanations and examples that can enhance students' understanding of the material.

Are there any other resources that complement "Starting with Spivak - question"?

Yes, there are many online resources and study guides that can complement "Starting with Spivak - question". These include video lectures, practice problems, and discussion forums where students can collaborate and ask for help. It is always beneficial to use multiple resources when learning a new subject.