Starting Shankar's Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the person has been self-studying quantum using Griffith's book to prepare for a graduate course. They have gone through the first four chapters and are wondering if they should continue with Griffith's book or switch to Shankar's book. They have a strong mathematical background and some background in physics. A recommendation is given to drop Griffith's book and switch to Shankar's book.
dydtaylor
This summer I've been self-studying quantum in Griffith's book to help prepare for a graduate quantum course I'm taking next semester. From what I can tell, the first semester of the course will focus on using Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics.

Right now I've gone through the first 4 chapters of Griffith's book (up through 3 dimensional quantum mechanics and spin), and I was wondering how much more benefit I would get from reading Griffith's book as opposed to starting on Shankar's book before ahead of time.

I have a good background in mathematics (a detailed course in linear algebra, abstract algebra, ordinary differential equations and some work on partial differential equations, Fourier transforms, etc.) so I don't think that will be an issue for me, while my physics background consists of essentially introduction classes (including an introduction to SR, quantum, and thermo that's required at my school) and the first semester of advanced undergraduate E&M.

Would anyone recommend that I pay particularly close attention to any particular section of the book, skip any sections, or make sure I'm familiar with certain areas of quantum or general physics before working on it?

Physics news on Phys.org
None, drop griffiths before it's too late!
Seriously, griffiths isn't a good textbook, if you've got the mathematical background, which it seems you do, pick up shankar and don't let go!
Shankar will give you a better feel for the subject whereas griffiths just gives you a recipe book.

Related to Starting Shankar's Quantum Mechanics

1. What is Shankar's Quantum Mechanics?

Shankar's Quantum Mechanics is a well-known textbook on quantum mechanics written by physicist Ramamurti Shankar. It covers the fundamental principles and mathematical concepts of quantum mechanics and is widely used in undergraduate and graduate courses.

2. Why is Shankar's Quantum Mechanics considered a popular textbook?

Shankar's Quantum Mechanics is popular among students and educators because of its clear and concise explanations of complex concepts, its use of relevant examples and problems, and its comprehensive coverage of the subject matter.

3. Is Shankar's Quantum Mechanics suitable for beginners?

While some prior background in mathematics and physics is helpful, Shankar's Quantum Mechanics is designed for students with little or no prior knowledge of quantum mechanics. The book provides a solid foundation in the subject and is suitable for both undergraduate and graduate students.

4. Are there any additional resources to supplement Shankar's Quantum Mechanics?

Yes, there are many additional resources available to supplement Shankar's Quantum Mechanics, such as online lecture notes, problem sets, and solution manuals. Additionally, there are many other textbooks and reference books on quantum mechanics that can be used alongside Shankar's book.

5. Can Shankar's Quantum Mechanics be used for self-study?

Yes, Shankar's Quantum Mechanics can be used for self-study, but it is recommended to have some background knowledge in mathematics and physics before attempting to study the book independently. It is also helpful to have access to additional resources, such as online lectures or a study group, for a more comprehensive understanding of the material.