Starting an electrostatic cylinder problem

In summary: The hint is suggesting that you use the Pythagorean theorem to find the distance between the charge element and the point on the z-axis where you are measuring the potential. This can then be used in the equation for the potential to find the potential at that point.
Blastrix91

Homework Statement

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/2816/unavngivettz.png

My problem is that I'm confused about a hint I was given in this problem. I usually use the law of cosine to find the length of [itex]\vec{r}-\vec{r'}[/itex] in sphere problems. But the hint I have says that I should make it [itex][r^2 + (z - z_0)^2]^{1/2}[/itex]

Where could this be coming from? I can't quite get my head around the geometrical idea of this hint. Can't the law of cosine be used here?

([itex]\vec{r'}[/itex] is the vector to the charge distribution. [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] is the vector to everywhere in space, but since it is the potential at the axis of the cylinder it is probably what is described as z_0.)

I have a hard time seeing where there is any right triangle here to use pythagoras approach on.

(Here is a illustration of the problem:
http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/3168/unavngivetwj.png )

Homework Equations

The volume part of this equation:
http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/1306/unavngivetmg.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble starting the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Blastrix91 said:
I usually use the law of cosine to find the length of [itex]\vec{r}-\vec{r'}[/itex] in sphere problems. But the hint I have says that I should make it [itex][r^2 + (z - z_0)^2]^{1/2}[/itex]

Where could this be coming from?

I think the hint is based on using "cylindrical coordinates" ##(r, \theta, z)## where ##r## is the horizontal distance from the z-axis to the element of charge

Attachments

• cylindrical coord.gif
    cylindrical coord.gif
    13.1 KB · Views: 487

Related to Starting an electrostatic cylinder problem

1. What is an electrostatic cylinder problem?

An electrostatic cylinder problem is a type of problem in electrostatics that involves calculating the electric field and potential associated with a cylindrical object. These problems typically involve finding the electric field and potential at various points around the cylinder, as well as determining the electric flux and the charges present on the cylinder.

2. How do you approach an electrostatic cylinder problem?

To solve an electrostatic cylinder problem, you first need to understand the setup of the problem and identify any known values, such as the radius of the cylinder, the charge density, and the distance from the cylinder to the point of interest. Then, you can use the appropriate equations for electric field and potential to calculate the values at the desired points. It is also important to keep track of units and use appropriate mathematical techniques, such as integration, as needed.

3. What are the key equations used in solving an electrostatic cylinder problem?

The two key equations used in solving an electrostatic cylinder problem are Gauss's law and the equation for electric potential. Gauss's law states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space. The equation for electric potential is V = kQ/r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance from the point to the source charge.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving an electrostatic cylinder problem?

One common mistake when solving an electrostatic cylinder problem is forgetting to account for units. It is important to use consistent units throughout the problem and be aware of any conversions that may be necessary. Another mistake is not carefully considering the direction of the electric field and potential. These values are vectors and need to be calculated and interpreted correctly. Additionally, it is important to double-check all calculations and make sure they are accurate.

5. What are some real-world applications of electrostatic cylinder problems?

Electrostatic cylinder problems have many real-world applications, such as in the design of capacitors, which use cylindrical conductors to store electric charge. These problems are also relevant in the study of lightning and how it is attracted to tall, cylindrical objects such as buildings and trees. Additionally, understanding the electric field and potential around cylindrical objects is important in fields such as materials science, where the behavior of charged particles near cylindrical nanostructures is of interest.