Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Starting a New Thread

Prakhar

MHB Ambassador
MHB Ambassador
Mar 18, 2015
All MHB old-timers know that to start a new thread, we need to go to a particular sub-forum and click "+ Post New Thread".
But when someone is just viewing the Index, or viewing a particular thread etc., option to start a new thread is not available. I understand that it is quite easy to go tot a sub-forum and start a new thread, but many new users don't know that. New users feel lost in that case (just like MarkFL had to explain a new user in this thread).
I suggest that an option to start a new thread should be on most pages of this website (mainly MHB Index), and before submitting the new thread, users should be forced to select a suitable sub-forum for the thread from a list of sub-forums. This will increase the chances of the thread to be appropriately located and this feature will also not let new users feel lost.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I have been using forums for almost 15 years now, and until recently I don't ever recall anyone having trouble figuring out how to post a new thread until recently...and I have heard from other vB admins at vBorg who report this recent trend as well. I have a guess as to why this is now happening, and those of you who know me well already know what that is. ;)

Anyway, if we are going to do something about this, my suggestion would be to use vBulletin's "Notices Manager" to display instructions on how to post new threads (including how to title) to users with perhaps 10 or fewer posts. :)

NoName

Mar 5, 2016
It was me who couldn't post a new thread. In the end I had to register again and had no problem finding the post new thread marks. What was happening was the post a thread marks would be there if I'm not logged in and would disappear as soon as I logged in. I had later noticed the one at the bottom of the page didn't disappear, but it said I lacked the permission to post after I clicked it. So I figured it had to do with that I had used a disposable email while registering so the system probably thought that I was a spammer.

Prakhar

MHB Ambassador
MHB Ambassador
Mar 18, 2015
I have a guess as to why this is now happening, and those of you who know me well already know what that is. ;)
What is that?
Anyway, if we are going to do something about this, my suggestion would be to use vBulletin's "Notices Manager" to display instructions on how to post new threads (including how to title) to users with perhaps 10 or fewer posts. :)
These days, people are in hurry and need answers to their questions as soon as possible. Majority of new users will not be interested in learning how to post or reading instructions. They might give up if they can't find the "new thread" button.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
...These days, people are in hurry and need answers to their questions as soon as possible. Majority of new users will not be interested in learning how to post or reading instructions. They might give up if they can't find the "new thread" button.
vBulletin is a forum software that has been around for about 16 years and during that time has been developed to be as intuitive to use as possible. Of course we are always looking for ways to improve the user experience, but I don't think taking the process of selecting a forum and then clicking "+ Post New Thread" is appreciably improved by giving the option to click "+ Post New Thread" and then selecting a forum. That would be adding a lot of code/overhead to simply reverse the process, a process already found on many platforms other than vBulletin as well.

If a new user is in such a big hurry that they cannot select a forum in which to post, and then locate the BIG "+ Post New Thread" buttons both above and below the thread listing, then the quality of their post would likely be lacking a great deal. They would probably also be in too much of a hurry to post complete coherent sentences, and taking the time to include their progress on the problem would be out of the question. A well posted question is naturally going to get more attention than one that is poorly posted.

vBulletin is a powerful discussion platform, and as such a new user needs to take a bit of time to explore all the options available to create and format posts. New users are greeted by staff and encouraged to ask any questions they might have. These questions are diligently answered.