Starting a BME program in August - Math and physics review?

In summary, the speaker is a medical school graduate who will be starting an MS in BME in August. They are looking for recommendations on what mathematics and physics topics to review before starting the program. They are currently going through "Math Methods in Physical Science" and considering going through some problems in "Halliday and Resnick Physics" and "Mechanics" by Morin. Another person suggests looking at the Schaum's outlines series, specifically "Advanced Mathematics for Engineers and Scientists," which covers a wide range of math topics that are relevant to BME. They also suggest reviewing Fourier series and integrals as they may come up in BME.
rs2266
Hey guys,

I was an average physics major as an undergrad who entered medical school. I graduated from undergrad about 4 years ago and have been inundated with medicine since then - so I haven't had much of a chance to review old mathematics and physics. I will be starting an MS in BME in August so I'm wondering what I can do.

Could someone please direct me to the proper books or topics I should review before starting in August?

Currently, I am going through:

Math Methods in Physical Science by Boas (because this was the book we used in undergrad)

I was also considering going through some problems in Halliday and Resnick Physics - the high school text - and Mechanics by Morin.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Have a look at the Schaum's outlines series. They're not so much designed to teach you the subject as to serve as a point of reference and problem bank.

I'd recommend the "Advanced Mathematics for Engineers and Scientists" in particular, as it covers basically any maths you could possibly need (all the usual calculus, differential equations and matrix algebra plus Laplace and Fourier transforms, various special functions including Gamma, Bessel and Legendre functions, complex variables, and the calculus of variations.). If you can happily do most of the calculus/vector analysis/differential equations/matrices questions then you'll be in pretty good form. you might want to spend some time reviewing the Fourier series and integral sections as I think this comes up in BME a fair bit, but I can't say for sure (I'm in EE).

They also have a few different physics outlines but I don't really know how good they are as I haven't used those.

Related to Starting a BME program in August - Math and physics review?

1. What is the purpose of starting a BME program in August?

The purpose of starting a BME program in August is to prepare students for the upcoming academic year and ensure a smooth transition into the program. It allows students to review and refresh their math and physics skills, which are essential for success in biomedical engineering.

2. What topics should be covered in the math and physics review for a BME program?

The math and physics review for a BME program should cover topics such as algebra, calculus, trigonometry, mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and thermodynamics. These topics are fundamental to understanding and solving problems in biomedical engineering.

3. How long should the math and physics review last?

The length of the math and physics review will depend on the individual needs of the students. However, it is recommended to have at least 2-4 weeks of review to ensure students have a solid understanding of the concepts before starting the BME program.

4. Are there any recommended resources for the math and physics review?

Yes, there are various resources available for the math and physics review, such as textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and review courses. It is important to choose resources that align with the topics covered in the BME program and cater to the individual learning styles of the students.

5. How can students make the most out of the math and physics review for a BME program?

Students can make the most out of the math and physics review by actively engaging in the review materials, seeking help from professors or tutors if needed, and practicing regularly. It is also helpful to connect the concepts learned in the review to real-life biomedical engineering applications to better understand their relevance.