Starting 2 calculus classes without background in calculus

You may also want to talk to your professors about potentially adjusting your study habits and times to accommodate for any side effects you may experience while taking Ritalin. Overall, it's important to prioritize your health and well-being while managing a heavy course load. In summary, it is recommended to speak with your doctor and professors about managing your workload and potential side effects while taking Ritalin for ADHD-PI. It is also suggested to consider taking an elective or non-technical class to balance out your schedule.
victorhugo
I started studying calculus last week and in 2 weeks I start my double degree in: Science (Physics) / Engineering (Honours)

My 4 classes will be:
FUNDAMENTALS OF PHYSICS B

MATHEMATICS 2: SERIES AND INTEGRAL CALCULUS

ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS

ENGINEERING COMPUTING AND ANALYSIS

So, what tips do you have for me? Study habits/times/techniques?

Also, a bit out of context but today i was prescribed Ritalin for 'ADHD-PI', aka ADD. I remember a teacher once told me it makes people zombies and it affects the development of growing brains (im 18 and brains grows until 23-25) So I was just wondering if this is true and if anyone has any experience in taking the medication.

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually I don't see students taking 4 technical classes (Math/Science/Engineering) at the same time, at least at the start of a college career. Perhaps it's totally doable for you. But most people, who I've seen, would take an English or History or an elective along with 3 technical classes.

You may want to speak with your doctor and pharmacist about the potential effects of Ritalin on you.

Related to Starting 2 calculus classes without background in calculus

1. What is calculus and why is it important?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that studies how things change over time. It is important because it provides a framework for understanding and solving problems related to rates of change, optimization, and continuous systems.

2. Can I start taking calculus classes without any prior knowledge?

Yes, it is possible to start taking calculus classes without any prior knowledge. However, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry, as these are important building blocks for understanding calculus concepts.

3. What topics are covered in a typical calculus class?

A typical calculus class covers topics such as limits, derivatives, integrals, applications of derivatives and integrals, and techniques of integration. It also introduces students to the fundamental theorem of calculus and teaches them how to apply these concepts to solve real-world problems.

4. How can I prepare for a calculus class without any background in calculus?

You can prepare for a calculus class by reviewing and practicing basic algebra and trigonometry concepts. You can also find online resources or textbooks that provide an introduction to calculus concepts. Additionally, you can seek help from a tutor or attend review sessions offered by your school.

5. What can I expect from a calculus class without any background in calculus?

Starting a calculus class without any background in calculus can be challenging, but it is possible to succeed with hard work and dedication. You can expect to learn new and complex concepts, solve challenging problems, and develop critical thinking skills. It is important to stay committed and seek help when needed to ensure success in the class.