EMachines M6809 - Unbeatable Price for 64-bit Computing

• Thread starter Dagenais
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computing
In summary: The site I linked you to specializes in selling this new technology, and will preinstall an English version of Windows in the... laptop for you?
Dagenais
http://emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_M6809 . What a deal. It's closest competitors from Alienware and Falcon are a lot more expensive.

I showed this laptop in the Off-topic section of a Mac forum and someone replied, "It'll be five years before Apple can ever price something with that technology at that price."

And companies like Apple are somewhat of pioneers in the 64-bit computing world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
For about as long as I can remember in computer years, the state of the art barebones laptop has never been priced this low.

I have been warned by an engineer at MSFT to stay away from 64 bit machines for some time to come...since if I am to make a living I need my laptop to actually work. Edit: really I should have said the 64 bit environment.

Last edited:
More companies should make laptops with smaller screens. What the hell am I going to do with a 16" widescreen, if I wanted to watch movies I'd get myself a big screen TV.

It's not thanks to Apple. Apple made such a big deal about the 17-inch notebook and so many Macheads bought it that all the other companies came out with them.

What happened to laptops representing portability? 17-inch screen!?

Weight: 7.5 lbs. (8.65 total travel weight)

You'll need a chiropractor after lugging that around. Companies should focus on building thin, light and cheap as well. Most Windows laptops are heavy.

"Windows laptops"? :confused:

I agree though, small and thin laptops are the way to go. I'm looking for one myself at the moment, so if anyone got some suggestions...

Chen, I've got tons of suggestions. How much are you willing to spend?

Take a look at this:

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,115060,00.asp

Got to love those ultra-portables. If you're looking for something real thin...

http://www.dynamism.com/index.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
"Windows laptops"?

He meant laptops that came with Windows as the default OS. There is a such thing as a Winbook though.

Dagenais said:
He meant laptops that came with Windows as the default OS. There is a such thing as a Winbook though.
Well, what does the OS running the laptop has anything to do with its weight? I install Debian on my laptops and it doesn't get any ligher. :tongue:

Dagenais said:
Chen, I've got tons of suggestions. How much are you willing to spend?
I would say not more than $2,000, but I'm willing to pay for something exceptionally good. I see a lot of websites that praise the IBM X31 and X40, and I liked them as well, what do you think? I like Vaio's as well but they are awfully expensive and I hear that they are not very enduring.

I would say not more than $2,000, but I'm willing to pay for something exceptionally good. I see a lot of websites that praise the IBM X31 and X40, and I liked them as well, what do you think? I like Vaio's as well but they are awfully expensive and I hear that they are not very enduring.

I've heard good and bad about VAIOs. They certainly come from a reliable company. Sony makes the lightest laptops on Earth: http://www.dynamism.com/x505/

For under $2000 you can get a pretty good Dell configured just the way you like it with the parts that you choose.

IBM Thinkpads are nice. In fact, I haven't heard one bad thing about them. Most of their graphic cards aren't that nice, but since you run Linux you won't be doing that much gaming. They are aimed at the business type...

You can't go wrong with a Thinkpad.

Chen said:
Well, what does the OS running the laptop has anything to do with its weight? I install Debian on my laptops and it doesn't get any ligher. :tongue:

If you look at almost all the laptops made for Windows they're usually 4 pounds and up. But my point is just simply that.

Sony will be coming out with a very light laptop made of carbon fiber. For a little more than a pound. Most companies are slowly transitioning to small and light, but still not cheap.

Is the X505 available for purchase yet? I can't seem to find it on any of Sony's websites... and Dealtime.com also shows it as not yet available.

Sony will be coming out with a very light laptop made of carbon fiber. For a little more than a pound. Most companies are slowly transitioning to small and light, but still not cheap.

Did you look at the link I provided previously, before mentioning this?

Is the X505 available for purchase yet? I can't seem to find it on any of Sony's websites... and Dealtime.com also shows it as not yet available.

The X505 is not available on US Soil yet. It's extremely new and high-tech, only in Japan.

The site I linked you to specializes in selling this new technology, and will preinstall an English version of Windows in the laptop.

Dagenais said:
Did you look at the link I provided previously, before mentioning this?

No. I read it in a magazine.

Dagenais said:
The X505 is not available on US Soil yet. It's extremely new and high-tech, only in Japan.

The site I linked you to specializes in selling this new technology, and will preinstall an English version of Windows in the laptop.
It's also awfully expensive... according to that website it starts at $3,200. :eek: :eek:

And the starting price is not for the carbon fiber model. The base model features the quotidian nickel fiber. Dell offers a nice, low-priced, 3-lb model in its Inspiron line of laptops, and another in its Latitude line of laptops. But, as was mentioned, if you want a rugged laptop you will have to buy an IBM (or a Panasonic Toughbook for a notebook you can spill liquids on and literally drive trucks over without fear of its breaking).

Last edited:
I don't necessarily want a rugged laptop, in fact I am pretty sure I don't. I was just saying that I heard stories of VAIO breaking apart too easily, not when ran over by trucks. I want something "ultra portable", I'm looking for something to use at university maybe.

Not a big fan of Fujitsu. In fact, how many people do you see using Fujitsu in North America? I've seen one. :frown:

It's also awfully expensive... according to that website it starts at $3,200.

Well, it's better than anything else. Unlike Alienware's or the PB 17-inch, it can truly say it is the most technologically advanced laptop and not just an oversize, overpriced laptop.

Besides, it's imported from Japan.

1. What is the price of the eMachines M6809?

The eMachines M6809 was advertised as an "unbeatable price" for 64-bit computing at $1,499 USD when it was first released in 2003. However, the price may vary depending on where it is purchased and its current availability.

2. What is 64-bit computing?

64-bit computing refers to a type of computer architecture that allows the use of 64-bit integers, memory addresses, or instructions. This allows for larger amounts of data to be processed and accessed more quickly compared to 32-bit computing.

3. What is the processor in the eMachines M6809?

The eMachines M6809 is equipped with an AMD Athlon 64 processor, specifically the 3000+ model. This is a 64-bit processor with a clock speed of 1.8 GHz and 512 KB of L2 cache.

4. What are the specifications of the eMachines M6809?

The eMachines M6809 has a 15.4-inch WXGA display, 512 MB of RAM, a 60 GB hard drive, and a DVD/CD-RW combo drive. It also has built-in Wi-Fi, Ethernet, and modem capabilities, as well as various ports for connectivity.

5. Is the eMachines M6809 still a good computer to buy?

The eMachines M6809 was a budget-friendly option for 64-bit computing when it was first released, but it is now considered outdated. Its specifications may not be able to handle newer software and operating systems. It may be better to invest in a more modern computer for better performance and longevity.