Water Density / Expansion and Life

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of the density of water as it freezes and its impact on life on Earth. The question is raised about whether there are other molecules or chemicals that behave in a similar way when they become cooler. This could potentially lead to the existence of other forms of life outside of Earth. The conversation also touches on the idea that life on Earth may not have originated if the freezing point of water was different.
Descender
What molecules or chemicals, other than water [H20] (that I know of), are less dense as they become cooler and their electrons slow? This is broad question, I know, but my question relates to the fact that much of our conditions of life rely on the density of water as it becomes a solid (see the last post at: [URL [Broken] by Jim Stringer). If there are other molecules or chemicals that react the same way then there could be other forms of life, besides Earth's terrestrial, outside of Earth so this is where my question originates from. I realize this may be a question of a green-horn, but I ask it nevertheless. I know there could be thousands, but I am interested in the simple molecules containing between 4 elements and 6 elements.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi descender,
I know of no other material so important to life on Earth but do you know that life would never have originated if the freezing point of water had been at - ~4 degrees C rather than + ~4 degrees? Clue: water would freeze from the bottom up! Cheers, Jim

NEOclassic,

If water froze at -4 degrees C it would make no difference. What make lakes freeze "top-down" is that liquid water above its freezing point is more dense than ice. This quality has nothing at all to do with the actual freezing temperature.

- Warren

Chroot, you missed the point. Water, as it is freezing, expands UNTIL it reach about -4 degrees Celcius after that it "shrinks" like everything else. NEOclassic's point is that if water froze at -4 degrees, then ice would not be lighter than water and water would freeze from the bottom up.

What is water density and why is it important?

Water density refers to the mass of water per unit volume. It is important because it affects the behavior of water in various environments, such as in oceans and lakes, and also determines the ability of water to support life.

How does water density affect marine life?

Water density affects marine life in several ways. It helps to regulate the distribution of nutrients and oxygen in the ocean, influences the movement and behavior of marine animals, and also plays a role in the formation of ocean currents.

How does water expansion affect the Earth's climate?

Water expansion, also known as thermal expansion, refers to the increase in volume of water as it warms up. This process has a significant impact on the Earth's climate by contributing to sea level rise and altering ocean currents, which can affect global weather patterns.

What is the relationship between water density and temperature?

The relationship between water density and temperature is inverse. As water temperature increases, its density decreases, and vice versa. This is because warm water molecules are more energetic and move farther apart, making the water less dense.

Why is understanding water density and expansion important for studying the origins of life on Earth?

Water density and expansion play a crucial role in the formation and evolution of Earth's oceans, which are essential for supporting life. By understanding these properties, scientists can better understand how life may have originated and evolved on our planet.