Star Threatens Earth: Is it Real?

• Thread starter engineroom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth Star
In summary, the conversation discusses the skepticism surrounding a recent article about the possibility of a gamma-ray burst causing mass extinction. While the article presents a speculative danger, the tone and headline are alarmist. Further research shows that the probability of this event occurring is very remote and there is ample time to prepare for it in the next 500 million years.
engineroom
http://www.stuff.co.nz/4426392a10.html

Is this for real? I am somewhat sceptical of anything of a technical or scietific field that I read in the mass media.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Reading it through, it seems that the possibility of a real danger is highly speculative.

mathman said:
Reading it through, it seems that the possibility of a real danger is highly speculative.

Highly speculative yes but don't you love how alarmist the tone & headline are.

engineroom said:
...I am somewhat sceptical of anything of a technical or scientific field that I read in the mass media...
Agreed. I used my good friend Google and found http://www.usyd.edu.au/news/84.html?newsstoryid=2181".As for the actual article itself, it's definitely possible, http://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/starsgalaxies/gammaray_extinction.html" seem to think so.. but I think we have 500 million years or so to plan for it..

Last edited by a moderator:
No GRB has been observed in any nearby galaxy, much less our own. I deem the probability very remote. If humanity persists for another 500 million years, I anticipate we will have long since acquired the ability to dodge such a bullet.

Related to Star Threatens Earth: Is it Real?

1. Is there really a star that poses a threat to Earth?

Currently, there is no known star that poses a direct threat to Earth. However, there are stars that could potentially become a danger in the distant future.

2. How would a star threaten Earth?

A star could pose a threat to Earth if it were to explode in a supernova or if it were to pass within a certain distance of our solar system, disrupting the orbits of planets and potentially causing collisions.

3. How likely is it that a star will pose a threat to Earth?

The chances of a star posing a direct threat to Earth are extremely slim. Even if a star were to explode in a supernova, it would have to be within a certain distance to cause significant damage to Earth.

4. Are there any known stars that could potentially become a threat to Earth in the future?

There are a few stars that have been identified as potential supernova candidates, such as Betelgeuse and Antares. However, these stars are still at a safe distance from Earth and are not expected to pose a threat in the near future.

5. What measures are in place to protect Earth from potential star threats?

Currently, there are no specific measures in place to protect Earth from potential star threats. However, scientists are constantly monitoring the skies for any potential dangers and developing strategies to mitigate any potential risks in the future.