Stanford VS Harvard for undergrad physics/astrophysics

In summary: I admittedly hate the snow. :) go to Stanford.Go to Stanford.Palo Alto is gorgeous.Does MIT have a program for astrophysics?Two things would rip me apart between those two choices:1: Harvard is declared #1 university in the world.2: Stanford has much better weather than here in the east coast and is of equal caliber to Harvard.If you can stand the weather, choose Harvard. The location is interesting. I'm from a rural environment, and I hate Boston and Boston drivers. Still, Cambridge looks like an OK place to go through college (as long as you have enough $$$$$$$). If you want to have a decent place within 50 miles of
ieiediediedie
I'm at a crossroads in my life now and I have the lucky dilemma of having to choose between Harvard and Stanford (which one should I take? :P) so...which one do I take? I'm planning to major in physics/astrophysics but I see both have are pretty strong with those fields. FA is amazing at both so financing is not an issue and if relevant, I'm from the East Coast so the warmer weather is always a plus...Suggestions? And thanks in advance for any info.

Now I know how Rebecca Black feels D:

Physics news on Phys.org
Go Stanford. I my opinion there are less douchebags there.

Don't even try to weigh the pros and cons. Both schools are great. If some part of your unconscious is causing you to lean one way or the other, you should not be afraid to follow that instinct. When both schools are of that caliber, it's just about your personal fit and happiness with the school, and that can be hard to pin down analytically.

That said, everyone likes to turn down Harvard. :)

Go to Stanford. Palo Alto is gorgeous.

Does MIT have a program for astrophysics?

Two things would rip me apart between those two choices:

1: Harvard is declared #1 university in the world.
2: Stanford has much better weather than here in the east coast and is of equal caliber to Harvard.

I might personally go with Stanford, I'm getting quite sick of our bipolar weather here in the east.

Nano-Passion said:
Two things would rip me apart between those two choices:

1: Harvard is declared #1 university in the world.
2: Stanford has much better weather than here in the east coast and is of equal caliber to Harvard.

I might personally go with Stanford, I'm getting quite sick of our bipolar weather here in the east.

Harvard is tied with Stanford, Caltech, and MIT for the #1 spot in physics.
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...-schools/top-science-schools/physics-rankings
(For Grad Programs)

For undergrad physics, MIT and Stanford are both over Harvard.

Last edited by a moderator:
protegy100 said:
Does MIT have a program for astrophysics?
Does MIT have a website?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nano-Passion said:
mit.edu

:-)
Tell that to Mr. I'm-too-lazy-to-google-and-want-others-to-do-that-for-me up there.

If you can stand the weather, choose Harvard. The location is interesting. I'm from a rural environment, and I hate Boston and Boston drivers. Still, Cambridge looks like an OK place to go through college (as long as you have enough $$$$$$$). If you want to have a decent place within 50 miles of Harvard, you might want to plan for some big rents.

Since my brother is going to physics graduate school at Stanford next year, and will probably be a TA for some of the classes I will look out for him in saying:

If your going to cause the TA trouble, go to Harvard, if you will be a pleasure to have in section, go to Stanford :P

Also I am confused, weren't decisions due a while back?

n1person said:
Since my brother is going to physics graduate school at Stanford next year, and will probably be a TA for some of the classes I will look out for him in saying:

If your going to cause the TA trouble, go to Harvard, if you will be a pleasure to have in section, go to Stanford :P

Also I am confused, weren't decisions due a while back?

This thread was made in early May.

Honestly, both are equally reputable. Go for where you feel more comfortable. If you think depression will hit you in Harvard's long winter then go to Stanford; especially since you said you are getting tired of the cold weather.

Your feeling in the campus life will ultimately either support your study or drain you from motivation. Go to where you feel more comfortable.

Ryker said:
Tell that to Mr. I'm-too-lazy-to-google-and-want-others-to-do-that-for-me up there.

Lmao I get it now. :smile:

Does MIT have a website?

Is that a joke?

Shackleford said:
Is that a joke?
A failed attempt, it seems.

Ryker said:
A failed attempt, it seems.

Ah. I see why you asked that. Haha.

turbo-1 said:
If you can stand the weather, choose Harvard. The location is interesting. I'm from a rural environment, and I hate Boston and Boston drivers. Still, Cambridge looks like an OK place to go through college (as long as you have enough $$$$$$$). If you want to have a decent place within 50 miles of Harvard, you might want to plan for some big rents.

I second this. As someone who lives in Boston, I can concur that it is EXPENSIVE!

However, you pay for what you get. It's a big city, without being too overwhelming (minus the traffic). Also, Boston is a great place to be a student. This last statement comes from experience.

Winters can suck, but I'm from Pennsylvania originally, so the NE winters don't bother me too much.

Personally, I'd choose Harvard, but you'll get a great education either way.

Related to Stanford VS Harvard for undergrad physics/astrophysics

1. What is the difference between Stanford and Harvard for undergrad physics/astrophysics?

Stanford and Harvard are both highly reputable universities with strong undergraduate programs in physics and astrophysics. However, there are some key differences between the two. One of the main differences is their location - Stanford is located in California while Harvard is located in Massachusetts. In terms of curriculum, Stanford offers a more hands-on and experimental approach to physics and astrophysics, while Harvard has a more theoretical focus. Additionally, Stanford has a larger undergraduate population and a more diverse student body compared to Harvard.

2. Which university has a stronger reputation in the field of physics/astrophysics?

Both Stanford and Harvard have excellent reputations in the field of physics and astrophysics. It ultimately depends on the specific subfield you are interested in and the faculty members at each university. Both universities have produced numerous Nobel laureates and have strong research programs in these fields.

3. What are the opportunities for research in physics/astrophysics at Stanford and Harvard?

Both universities offer ample opportunities for undergraduate students to participate in research in physics and astrophysics. At Stanford, students can get involved in research through the Physics Undergraduate Research Opportunities (PURO) program, while at Harvard, students can participate in research through the Harvard College Observatory. Both universities also have extensive resources and facilities for students to conduct research.

4. How do the class sizes and teaching methods differ between Stanford and Harvard for undergrad physics/astrophysics?

Stanford and Harvard have different teaching styles and class sizes for their physics and astrophysics courses. At Stanford, class sizes tend to be smaller and there is a focus on hands-on learning through labs and projects. At Harvard, classes tend to be larger and there is a greater emphasis on theoretical concepts and problem-solving. Both universities have highly qualified and dedicated professors who are committed to teaching and mentoring students.

5. What are the career opportunities for undergraduates in physics/astrophysics from Stanford and Harvard?

Graduates from both Stanford and Harvard with degrees in physics and astrophysics have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. These can include research positions in academia or industry, teaching positions, and careers in fields such as engineering, finance, and data science. Both universities have strong alumni networks that can provide valuable connections and opportunities for career advancement.