Standing Waves on a Violin String

In summary, a violinist creates a note with a wavelength of 60.0 cm by placing her finger at a length of 40.0 cm on a 1.00 g/m string and drawing her bow across it. To find the string tension, the fundamental frequency is used which can be calculated using the speed of sound and the wavelength. The speed of the wave traveling through the string medium is different from the speed of sound through air, but the fundamental frequency remains the same. By multiplying the fundamental frequency by the wavelength on the string, the velocity through the string can be found.
kikko

Homework Statement

A violinist places her finger so that the vibrating section of a 1.00 g/m string has a length of 40.0 cm, then she draws her bow across it. A listener nearby in a 20oC room hears a note with a wavelength of 60.0 cm.

Homework Equations

Wavelengthm = (2L/m)
f1 = (v/2L) = (1/2L)(sqrt(Ts/(m/L)

The Attempt at a Solution

(((2Lf)^2)M)/LWhat am I doing something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
what are you trying to find, string tension?

I think you should find frequency using speed of sound and wavelength

you've assumed the frequency to be the fundamental frequency which I don't think is right...besides that I think there should also be some distinction between the speed of the wave traveling through the guitar string medium and the speed of sound through air, but I'm not too sure...

The book says to always use the fundamental frequency for stringed instruments, and from the text so far i really doubt it changes between the string and the air. Yes,I am trying to find string tension.

ok here's what I got

fundamental wavelength = 0.8
f=343/0.6 = 572 Hz

T/0.001 = (0.8 x 572)^2
T=209N

there is a distinction between velocity through air and the string, but the fundamental frequency as you said remains the same, thus we can use the speed of sound to find the fundamental frequency, multiply this by the wavelength on the string, and voila you have velocity through the string

hope that helps

I would like to clarify that the equations you have provided are not entirely relevant to the given scenario. The equations you have provided are for calculating the fundamental frequency of a standing wave on a string, but the question does not mention the fundamental frequency or the tension in the string.

To answer the question, we can use the equation for the speed of a wave on a string, v = sqrt(T/µ), where T is the tension in the string and µ is the linear mass density of the string. With the given information, we can calculate the speed of the wave on the string to be v = sqrt(1.00 g/m / 0.40 m) = 2.24 m/s.

Next, we can use the equation for the wavelength of a standing wave on a string, λ = 2L/n, where L is the length of the vibrating section of the string and n is the number of nodes (or anti-nodes) in the standing wave. In this case, the length of the vibrating section is given as 40.0 cm, and we can assume that the fundamental frequency is being produced, which means there is only one node and one anti-node. Therefore, the wavelength of the wave produced is λ = 2(0.40 m) = 0.80 m.

Now, using the equation for the speed of the wave, we can calculate the frequency of the wave as f = v/λ = 2.24 m/s / 0.80 m = 2.8 Hz. This is the frequency of the wave produced by the violin string, which is what the listener would hear as the note.

In conclusion, the listener in a 20oC room would hear a note with a frequency of 2.8 Hz, which corresponds to a wavelength of 60.0 cm. The equations you have provided are not relevant to this scenario, and it is important to use the correct equations and relevant information to solve a problem.

Related to Standing Waves on a Violin String

What are standing waves on a violin string?

Standing waves on a violin string are the result of sound waves bouncing back and forth between the two ends of the string. This creates a pattern of nodes and antinodes, which are points of minimal and maximal vibration, respectively.

How are standing waves created on a violin string?

Standing waves on a violin string are created when the string is plucked or bowed, causing it to vibrate at a specific frequency. This frequency is determined by the length, tension, and mass of the string, and is known as the fundamental frequency.

What is the significance of standing waves on a violin string?

Standing waves on a violin string are crucial for producing sound. As the string vibrates, it transfers its energy to the surrounding air, creating sound waves that we hear as music. The specific pattern of standing waves also affects the quality and tone of the sound produced.

How do standing waves on a violin string relate to harmonics?

Harmonics are created when standing waves on a violin string divide the string into smaller segments, producing higher frequencies known as overtones. These overtones, along with the fundamental frequency, determine the pitch and timbre of the sound produced.

Can the standing waves on a violin string be altered or adjusted?

Yes, the standing waves on a violin string can be altered by changing the length, tension, or mass of the string. This can be achieved by adjusting the position of the fingers on the fingerboard, tuning the strings, or using a different type of string. These adjustments can affect the frequency and quality of the standing waves and ultimately impact the sound produced by the violin.