Standing waves on a circular plate.

In summary, the frequency needed to vibrate a circular metal plate with a time of X microseconds to create standing waves with seven concentric circles depends on various factors such as the boundary conditions and thickness of the plate. For a plate with clamped edges, the frequency can be calculated using the formula f_01=0.47*c*h/a^2, where c is the speed of longitudinal waves, h is the thickness, and a is the radius. The mode with two circular nodes has a frequency that is 3.89 times that of the mode with one nodal circle. The relationship between mode frequencies is not harmonic, meaning they are not integer multiples of each other.
ImaLooser
Suppose I have a rigid circular metal plate that takes sound X microseconds to cross. What frequency would I have to vibrate that plate to get standing waves that form seven concentric circles? The obvious answer is 14X but I'm not sure.

BTW, this is not homework.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don'y forget that standing waves have two antinodes per wavelength.

ImaLooser said:
Suppose I have a rigid circular metal plate that takes sound X microseconds to cross. What frequency would I have to vibrate that plate to get standing waves that form seven concentric circles? The obvious answer is 14X but I'm not sure.

BTW, this is not homework.

It's not so obvious in several respects.
First, if x is a time, the frequency cannot be 14x.
Second, the answer depends on the boundary conditions (free edge, clamped edge, etc).
And then the answer depends on the plate's thickness too (not only diameter).
For a plate with clamped edges, the mode with 1 nodal circle has a frequency given by
f_01=0.47*c*h/a^2
where c is the speed of longitudinal waves, h is the thickness and a is the radius.
Your x would be 2a/c, I suppose (you didn't say which way is the sound going in X seconds) so you can eliminate either c or a from the formula but still have h dependence.
For the mode with two circular nodes:
f_02 is 3.89 f_01.
I don't have the value for f_06 but you can see that the relationship between mode frequency is not harmonic (integer multiples).

Related to Standing waves on a circular plate.

1. What are standing waves on a circular plate?

Standing waves on a circular plate are a type of vibrational pattern that occurs when a circular plate is excited at its natural frequencies. These waves appear to be standing still, hence the name "standing" waves.

2. How do standing waves on a circular plate form?

Standing waves on a circular plate form when waves traveling outward from the center of the plate reflect off the edges and interfere with each other. This creates nodes (points of minimal displacement) and antinodes (points of maximum displacement) on the surface of the plate.

3. What factors affect the formation of standing waves on a circular plate?

The main factors that affect the formation of standing waves on a circular plate are the size and shape of the plate, the material it is made of, and the frequency and amplitude of the excitation.

4. What are the applications of standing waves on a circular plate?

Standing waves on a circular plate have various applications in fields such as acoustics, music, and engineering. They are used to study the properties of materials and can also be used to create musical instruments, such as cymbals and gongs.

5. How are standing waves on a circular plate different from other types of waves?

Standing waves on a circular plate are different from other types of waves because they do not propagate through space but rather remain confined to the surface of the plate. They also have distinct patterns of nodes and antinodes, which is not seen in other types of waves.