Standing waves and banjo string

In summary: I hope this helps.In summary, the banjo string with a length of 36.0 cm resonates at a frequency of 250 Hz in its fundamental mode. To find the tension in the string, the equation v=2Lf is used, where v is the velocity, L is the length of the string, and f is the frequency. By solving for mu=m/L and substituting it into the equation v=sqrt(F_t/miu), the resulting equation is v=2Lf, which is equated with the previous equation. The correct length to use in this case is 0.36 m, and by plugging in the values, the tension in the string is determined.
phyzeek
1. A banjo string 36.0 cm long oscillates in a standing wave pattern. It resonates in its
fundamental mode at a frequency of 250 Hz. What is the tension in the string if 80.0 cm of the
string has a mass of 0.75 grams?

Homework Equations

k=2pi/lamda
velocity=sqrt(F_tension/miu)
miu=m/l
w=2pif

The Attempt at a Solution

v=sqrt(F_t/miu)
solved for miu and plugged into equation: 7.5*10^-4/.8
v=lamdaf
L=lamda/2
--> v=2Lf
v=2(.8)(250)
then equated both equations

i think i got confused with which length to use

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your work is ok.

Yes - mu =m/L and for fundamental frequency lambda = 2L.

I'm not sure when to use the length of the banjo string (36cm) :[

When the string is vibrating in its first overtone, i.e. its second harmonic, then the length of string will be the wavelenght.

thank u. my answer is still incorrect... i would appreciate any more help. thank you

grzz said:
I think your work is ok.

Yes - mu =m/L and for fundamental frequency lambda = 2L.

May I correct my own contribution above.

mu = m/L where L = 0.80m but lambda = 2 x 0.36 since this is the length which is oscillating.

Related to Standing waves and banjo string

1. What are standing waves?

Standing waves are a type of wave that is formed when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and overlap. This results in areas of constructive and destructive interference, causing the wave to appear to stand still.

2. How are standing waves created on a banjo string?

Standing waves on a banjo string are created by plucking or strumming the string, causing it to vibrate at a specific frequency. This vibration then interacts with its reflection off the fixed end of the string, creating a standing wave pattern.

3. What factors affect the formation of standing waves on a banjo string?

The factors that affect the formation of standing waves on a banjo string include the tension and length of the string, as well as the frequency of the vibration. The higher the tension and shorter the length, the higher the frequency and shorter the wavelength of the standing wave.

4. How does the number of nodes and antinodes on a banjo string relate to the frequency of the standing wave?

The number of nodes and antinodes on a banjo string is directly related to the frequency of the standing wave. The more nodes and antinodes present, the higher the frequency. This is because the distance between nodes and antinodes is equal to half the wavelength, which is inversely proportional to the frequency.

5. Can standing waves on a banjo string be altered or controlled?

Yes, the standing waves on a banjo string can be altered or controlled by changing the tension, length, or frequency of the string. This can be achieved by adjusting the tuning pegs or using a capo to change the length of the string. Additionally, using different playing techniques can also affect the formation of standing waves on a banjo string.