Standing Wave Equation: Exploring Y = 2Asin(\omegat)cos(kx)

In summary, a standing wave is formed when two waves with the same frequency travel in opposite directions. The resulting wave can be expressed as the sum of the two waves and can be simplified using trigonometric identities. The equation y = 2Asin(\omegat)cos(kx) is often used, but there is also an alternative equation y = 2Acos(\omegat)sin(kx) that may make more sense for certain scenarios, such as a string. The choice between equations (1) and (2) depends on the specific situation.
j-e_c
My lecturer said that a standing wave is formed when two waves that travel in the opposite have the same frequency.

He said that if the waves are y1 and y2, then the resulting wave y can be given as the sum:

y = y1 + y2.

y = Asin([tex]\omega[/tex]t - kx) + Asin([tex]\omega[/tex]t + kx). (1)

Where the plus and minus kx denotes their direction.

However, when (with a bit of trigonometric identity work) equation (1) is simplified it gives:

y = 2Asin([tex]\omega[/tex]t)cos(kx).

But how can this be? I mean, if x = 0, then the equation tells us that there is an antinode, which (for a string) isn't true.

I've seen the equation y = 2Acos([tex]\omega[/tex]t)sin(kx), which makes more sense when I consider a string for example.

To get to it you need the equation

y = Asin(kx - [tex]\omega[/tex]t) + Asin(kx + [tex]\omega[/tex]t) (2)

My question is, why would you use equation (2) and not equation (1)?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's OK, I've solved it now.

Related to Standing Wave Equation: Exploring Y = 2Asin(\omegat)cos(kx)

1. What is the standing wave equation?

The standing wave equation, also known as the wave equation, is a mathematical representation of a type of wave that does not propagate or move but rather oscillates in place. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics to study the behavior of waves.

2. What does the equation Y = 2Asin(\omegat)cos(kx) represent?

This equation represents the displacement of a standing wave at a given point in space and time. Y represents the displacement, A is the amplitude of the wave, ω is the angular frequency, t is time, k is the wave number, and x is the position along the wave.

3. How is the standing wave equation derived?

The standing wave equation is derived from the wave equation, which is a second-order partial differential equation that describes the behavior of waves. By solving the wave equation for a specific type of wave that does not propagate, we arrive at the standing wave equation.

4. What is the significance of the terms in the standing wave equation?

The amplitude, A, represents the maximum displacement of the wave. The angular frequency, ω, is related to the frequency of the wave, with higher values of ω corresponding to higher frequencies. The wave number, k, is related to the wavelength of the wave, with higher values of k corresponding to shorter wavelengths.

5. How is the standing wave equation used in scientific research?

The standing wave equation is used in many different fields of research, including acoustics, optics, and electromagnetics. It is used to model and analyze various physical phenomena, such as sound waves in musical instruments, light waves in optical devices, and electromagnetic waves in communication systems. By studying the behavior of standing waves, scientists can gain a better understanding of the properties of waves and their applications in different fields.