Standing Vertical Jump physics problem

In summary, using Newton's laws and the results from part (B), the average force applied by basketball player Darrell Griffith during his standing vertical jump of 1.2 m (4 ft) and weighing 890 N (200 lb) would be 890 N. This is because the force of 890 N is already given, and the calculated acceleration from part (B) is not needed to find the mass.
Whatupdoc
A Standing Vertical Jump. Basketball player Darrell Griffith is on record as attaining a standing vertical jump of 1.2 m (4 ft). (This means that he moved upward by 1.2 m after his feet left the floor.) Griffith weighed 890 N (200 lb).

1.) Use Newton's laws and the results of part (B) to calculate the average force he applied to the ground. F= m*a

ok i really don't know how to do this. i know that there is a force of 890 N that is already given. and the acceleration that i found from part b, which is below. if i plugged it in, i would find the mass, which is useless(i think).
can someone point me to the right direction? just a guess, but i just think it's 890N cause that's the force that he has.

this is part b.) If the time of the part of the jump before his feet left the floor was 0.300 s, what was the magnitude of his average acceleration while he was pushing against the floor? Results of part b is 16.2 m/s^2

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]
\begin{multline*}
\begin{split}
&Newton's\ 2nd\ Law\\
&\sum \vec{F}=m\vec{a}\\
&\vec{F}+\vec{W}=m\vec{a}\\
&\vec{F}=m\vec{a}-\vec{W}\\
&\vec{F}=m\vec{a}-(-mg)\\
&\vec{F}=m(16.2 + g)\\
\end{split}
\end{multline*}
[/tex]

Attachments

• Picture.GIF
    Picture.GIF
    628 bytes · Views: 1,243

To calculate the average force that Griffith applied to the ground, we need to use Newton's Second Law, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration (F=ma). We already know the mass of Griffith, which is 200 lb or 890 N. Now, we need to find the acceleration that he experienced while pushing against the ground during the jump. This can be found by using the equation for average acceleration, which is a=Δv/Δt, where Δv is the change in velocity and Δt is the time interval. In this case, we know the change in velocity, which is the height of the jump, 1.2 m, and the time interval, 0.300 s. Therefore, the average acceleration experienced by Griffith is 1.2 m/0.300 s = 4 m/s^2.

Now, we can plug this value into the equation F=ma to calculate the average force applied by Griffith to the ground. This gives us F=890 N * 4 m/s^2 = 3560 N. Therefore, the average force that Griffith applied to the ground during his standing vertical jump was 3560 N. This shows the amount of force and power that professional basketball players like Griffith possess.

Related to Standing Vertical Jump physics problem

What is a standing vertical jump?

A standing vertical jump is a measure of how high a person can jump from a standing position. It is often used in sports and fitness testing to assess an individual's explosive power and leg strength.

What is the physics behind a standing vertical jump?

The physics behind a standing vertical jump involves the principles of force, momentum, and energy. The force generated by the leg muscles propels the body upwards, while the momentum and energy from the jump contribute to the height achieved.

How is the height of a standing vertical jump calculated?

The height of a standing vertical jump can be calculated using the equation: h = (g * t^2) / 8, where h is the height, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time in seconds the person is in the air.

What factors can affect a person's standing vertical jump?

Several factors can affect a person's standing vertical jump, including their leg strength, body weight, height, and technique. Other factors such as fatigue, footwear, and surface also play a role in how high a person can jump.

How can one improve their standing vertical jump?

To improve your standing vertical jump, you can focus on strengthening your leg muscles through exercises such as squats, lunges, and plyometrics. Additionally, practicing proper jumping techniques and maintaining a healthy body weight can also help improve your jump height.