Standing Between 2 Plane Mirrors

In summary, standing between two plane mirrors on opposite walls results in multiple images. When standing 5 m from the mirror on the left and 10 m from the mirror on the right, the distances to the first three images seen in the mirror on the left are 10 m, 25 m, and 45 m respectively. The process for calculating the distances is to take one step at a time, starting with the first image being 5 m inside the mirror on the left and increasing by 15 m for each subsequent image. This method is not typically discussed in textbooks but can be easily understood by breaking down the distances step by step.
Neophyte7
If I stand between two plane mirrors on opposite walls in a room, I observe multiple images. When I stand 5 m from the mirror on the left wall, and 10 m from the mirror on the right wall, what are the distances (in meters) from me to the first three images seen in the mirror on the LEFT?

I know how to calculate the distance of an object with one mirror, but two throws me off because of the multiple reflections. My teacher hasn't discussed this and I can't find anything like it in my textbook.

Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just do it "one step at a time". Since you are 5 m from the mirror on the left, the "first" image in that mirror is 5 m "inside" the mirror and so 10 m from you. Since you are 10 m from the mirror on the right, the first image in that mirror is 10 m "inside" that mirror and so 20 m from you and 25 m from the mirror on the left. Therefore the "second" image in the mirror on the left is 25 m "inside" that mirror. Etc.

Thanks! That made sense when you broke it down like that.

Related to Standing Between 2 Plane Mirrors

1. How does standing between two plane mirrors create an infinite reflection?

When standing between two plane mirrors, your image is reflected back and forth between the two mirrors, creating an infinite number of reflections. Each reflection becomes smaller and smaller, but never truly disappears, resulting in an infinite reflection.

2. Why does the image appear reversed when standing between two plane mirrors?

The image appears reversed because each mirror reflects a flipped version of the original image. When the two reflections are combined, it creates a mirror image of the original object.

3. How does the distance between the mirrors affect the number of reflections?

The distance between the mirrors directly affects the number of reflections. The closer the mirrors are, the more reflections are created. As the distance increases, the reflections become smaller and eventually disappear.

4. Why does the image become distorted when the mirrors are not parallel?

When the mirrors are not parallel, the reflections do not line up perfectly, causing distortion in the image. This is because the reflected images are at different angles, resulting in a distorted combined image.

5. Can the number of reflections be calculated mathematically?

Yes, the number of reflections can be calculated using the formula n = d/2s, where n is the number of reflections, d is the distance between the mirrors, and s is the size of the object. This formula assumes that the mirrors are parallel and the object is placed in the center between the mirrors.