Standard model says 17 particals, M theory says 18?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the number of particles in the Standard Model and M-theory. While the Standard Model has 17 elementary particles, M-theory suggests there could be 18 or even 36 particles if symmetrical ones are included. The difference between the two theories is mostly subjective and not a major factor in scientific research. Additionally, the inclusion of graviton in M-theory could account for the difference in numbers.
rcx299
Hi. I've only just started reading on M-theory. I'm otherwise a lay person so I'm going to have some basic questions. Here's my first.

Standard Model has 17 elementary particles right? But doesn't M-theory say there's 18? Or 36 if you include the symetrical ones. So am I missing one particle? Or are the theories talking about something different.

I can see that my book mentions the graviton, which isn't in the standard model, so maybe that's the difference?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
How many particles you get depends on exactly what you decide to count as one particle. For example, I assume you counted Z and W as different particles. Why then did you not count 8 gluons? This is something subjective and therefore not a very relevant part of how science is done.

Likes mfb

Related to Standard model says 17 particals, M theory says 18?

1. What is the Standard Model and M Theory?

The Standard Model is a theory in physics that describes the fundamental particles and their interactions. It includes 17 particles, which are divided into 12 matter particles and 5 force-carrying particles. M Theory, also known as the Theory of Everything, is a theoretical framework that attempts to unify all known physical forces and particles, including gravity, into a single coherent theory.

2. Why does the Standard Model only have 17 particles?

The Standard Model is based on experimental evidence and mathematical principles. It is a well-tested theory that accurately describes the behavior of subatomic particles. The 17 particles in the Standard Model are the minimum number needed to explain all known observations.

3. What is the 18th particle proposed by M Theory?

The 18th particle in M Theory is called the graviton. According to M Theory, the graviton is responsible for carrying the force of gravity, which is not included in the Standard Model. It is a hypothetical particle that has not yet been observed, but is predicted by the theory.

4. How does M Theory differ from the Standard Model?

M Theory extends the Standard Model by including gravity and attempting to unify all known physical forces and particles into a single theory. It also proposes the existence of extra dimensions and strings, which are not included in the Standard Model. M Theory is still a theoretical framework and has not been fully developed or proven.

5. Is the Standard Model or M Theory more widely accepted in the scientific community?

The Standard Model is currently the most widely accepted theory in the scientific community for describing the behavior of subatomic particles. It has been extensively tested and has accurately predicted many experimental results. M Theory, on the other hand, is still a theoretical framework and has not yet been fully developed or tested, so it is not as widely accepted. However, many scientists are actively researching and exploring M Theory as a potential theory of everything.