Pulleys reduce the work needed

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of pulleys and the concept of infinity in physics. It is clarified that pulleys do not reduce the work needed, but rather distribute the force over a longer distance. It is also warned to avoid using infinity in physics as it does not have a practical application. The addition of an infinite number of pulleys and force would result in an impossible scenario. It is also mentioned that using an infinite length of rope would cause the rope to break due to its mass and tensile strength.
Ebolamonk3y
clarify this for me...

I know that pulleys reduce the work needed, depending on how its setup... But let's say at you add n number of pulleys to mass... And the work is reduced by 1/n... So you add infinite amount of pulleys... and then you supply an infinity amount of force... inf/inf = ? What exactly are you getting here? Tug 5m... with 5 pulleys in this setup its just 5/5...hmmm confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a little warning: Stay away from infinities. They do nothing productive.

cookiemonster

Gravity... couldn't you use that to supply the pull of this pulley?

Er... Gravity...?

The problem is an infinite amount of force is a tricky thing to handle. Combine it with an infinite number of pulleys and we have an even more difficult (i.e. impossible) problem to handle.

Simply put, infinity doesn't exist in physics, so don't try to force it in there.

cookiemonster

Whats about finite? what if the rope itself can expand or shrink... and you have to tug at it as it shrinks... then wouldn't you do less work? or... am I confusing myself...

I don't know about yourself, but you're certainly confusing me. =\

cookiemonster

heh... nvm then.

Work would be the SAME except for increased losses.

Force decreases with the addition of pulleys and rope displacement increases.

You would quickly exceed the rope's strength well before reaching infinity, and at some point the drag of all the pulleys and sheer mass of rope between them needs to be included in the calculation. Just having an infinite length of rope would have huge mass and then an infinite force would cause the rope to exceed its tensile strength and break, no pulley's needed.

Cliff

Ebolamonk3y said:
clarify this for me...

I know that pulleys reduce the work needed, depending on how its setup... But let's say at you add n number of pulleys to mass... And the work is reduced by 1/n... So you add infinite amount of pulleys... and then you supply an infinity amount of force... inf/inf = ? What exactly are you getting here? Tug 5m... with 5 pulleys in this setup its just 5/5...hmmm confused.

Pulleys do NOT reduce "work needed"- not in the physics sense of the word "work". They reduce the force needed in "work= force times distance" by increasing the distance over which the force is applied.

If you attached an "infinite" number of pulleys you would use 0 force for an "infinite" distance- which means nothing, physically. As CookieMonster said, "Stay away from infinities"!

cookiemonster said:
Just a little warning: Stay away from infinities [in situations where they don' belong]. They do nothing productive.
Wise words.

[beaten to death, but eh...]
I know that pulleys reduce the work needed, depending on how its setup...
No, actually, pulleys keep the work exactly the same (assuming no losses of course). Double the number of strands and you get twice the force at half the displacement on one side and twice the displacement for half the force on the other.

alright... thanks for the clarification.

1. How do pulleys reduce the work needed?

Pulleys reduce the work needed by distributing the force required to lift an object over multiple ropes and wheels. This results in a decrease in the amount of force needed to lift the object.

2. What is the principle behind pulleys reducing work needed?

The principle behind pulleys reducing work needed is the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. By using pulleys, the amount of force needed to lift an object is spread out over a larger distance, reducing the overall work needed.

3. Can pulleys completely eliminate the work needed to lift an object?

No, pulleys cannot completely eliminate the work needed to lift an object. While they can reduce the amount of force required, some work will always be needed to overcome the weight of the object and the friction of the pulley system.

4. How do fixed and movable pulleys differ in reducing work needed?

Fixed pulleys do not reduce the work needed as they do not change the direction or magnitude of the force required to lift an object. On the other hand, movable pulleys can reduce the work needed by distributing the force over multiple ropes and wheels.

5. Are there any other benefits to using pulleys to reduce work needed?

Yes, in addition to reducing the amount of work needed, pulleys also allow for the use of smaller and lighter tools or equipment to lift heavy objects. This can make tasks easier and safer for individuals who may not have the strength to lift heavy objects on their own.