Twins & Fingerprints: Development or Genetics?

• Thread starter Jeebus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Genetics
In summary, fingerprints of identical twins are not identical because they are formed due to stochastic factors, meaning they are random and can be affected by the environment. This is why even though twins share the same genetic code, their fingerprints can still be different. Factors such as touching things, temperature differences, and water can all contribute to the uniqueness of each person's fingerprint. This is also why each finger on a person's hand can have a different print.
Jeebus
Are fingerprints the same for twins? That is, are they based on development, on the genetic code, or a combination of both? Its probably a dumb question, but it had me wondering.

Biology news on Phys.org
The fingerprints of identical twins are not identical. So sayeth Columbo, and it was so.

Fingerprints are formed due to stochastic factors.

Thanks ChemicalSuperfreak and Monique. I really appreciate it. I knew they didn't have the same fingerprints -- I just was curious on how features can look the same and not be "genetically" the same, that's what I was aiming at.

Addendum: I have a question for Monique. Why would guesswork (stochastic) cells for the fingerprints be random? And even if they are random isn't there some chance (very unlikey) that they could resemble multiple qualitites?

Thanks again.

I assume they would be affected by the environment they are in direct contact with... they are afterall external, vulnerable to touching things, vulnerable to temperature differences, water wrinkling them differently and so on...

Originally posted by Another God
I assume they would be affected by the environment they are in direct contact with... they are afterall external, vulnerable to touching things, vulnerable to temperature differences, water wrinkling them differently and so on...

If that were the case, each of our fingers would have a different print. Right?

Nautica

1. What is the main cause of twins having different fingerprints?

The main cause of twins having different fingerprints is due to the individual development of each twin's fingerprints in the womb. Fingerprints are formed by the pressure and movements of the fingers against the amniotic sac, which is unique to each twin.

2. Can identical twins have different fingerprints?

Yes, identical twins can have different fingerprints. While they share the same DNA, their fingerprints are formed through individual development in the womb, resulting in slight variations in the patterns.

3. How much do genetics play a role in fingerprint development?

Genetics do play a role in fingerprint development, as the patterns and ridges are determined by the genes passed down from parents. However, environmental factors and individual development in the womb also play a significant role in the final appearance of fingerprints.

4. Do fraternal twins have more similar fingerprints than non-twin siblings?

No, fraternal twins do not have more similar fingerprints than non-twin siblings. While they may share some genetic similarities, their fingerprints are still formed through individual development and can have significant differences.

5. Can fingerprints change over time for twins?

Yes, fingerprints can change over time for twins, just as they can for any individual. As we age, our fingerprints can become worn and altered due to factors such as manual labor or skin conditions. However, the underlying patterns and ridges will still remain unique to each individual.