Standard Additions plotting in excel

In summary, the conversation is about a student having trouble plotting values in excel for a laboratory experiment that requires negative integers on the horizontal axis. They are seeking help with extrapolating the calibration line to obtain a negative value on the X-axis. One person suggests that excel supports negative numbers while another asks if the student has already plotted the data and just needs help with extrapolation.
Divine

Homework Statement

I have a set of values from a laboratory work (standard Additions practical), which I am required to plot. I am finding difficulties in plotting the values in excel because the horizontal axis must have some negative integers.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
No idea what your problem is, last time I used it, Excel supported negative numbers.

Have to agree w/ Borek. Can't see what your problem is

attachment.php?attachmentid=67427&stc=1&d=1394317262.jpg

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 734
Standard Additions

Divine said:

Homework Statement

I have a set of values from a laboratory work (standard Additions practical), which I am required to plot. I am finding difficulties in plotting the values in excel because the horizontal axis must have some negative integers.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello Borek,
My problem is that I don't know how to make such plots in excel. As you might be aware, there is the need to extrapolate the calibration line backwards so as to obtain a negative value on the X-axis. This is what I cannot do and will appreciate it if someone could help me.
The example given below is of no help as it looks nothing like a standard additions plot.

Thanks.

Have you plotted your data and fit a line already and don't know how to extrapolate or do you not know how to plot and fit data?

Related to Standard Additions plotting in excel

1. What is "Standard Additions plotting" in excel?

"Standard Additions plotting" in excel is a method used to determine the concentration of an unknown sample in a chemical analysis by comparing its signal to that of a known sample. This technique is commonly used in analytical chemistry to improve the accuracy of results.

2. How is "Standard Additions plotting" performed in excel?

To perform "Standard Additions plotting" in excel, you will need to first prepare a series of standard solutions with known concentrations of the analyte. Then, measure the signal of each standard solution and record it in a table in excel. Next, plot the signal versus concentration data points and use the trendline function to determine the equation of the line. Finally, use this equation to calculate the concentration of the unknown sample.

3. What are the advantages of using "Standard Additions plotting" in excel?

One advantage of using "Standard Additions plotting" in excel is that it can account for matrix effects, which can affect the accuracy of results in other analytical techniques. It also allows for the determination of the concentration of an unknown sample without the need for calibration standards.

4. Are there any limitations to using "Standard Additions plotting" in excel?

While "Standard Additions plotting" can improve the accuracy of results, it does require more time and resources to prepare and measure the standard solutions. Additionally, this method may not be suitable for samples with high concentrations or when the signal is close to the detection limit.

5. Can "Standard Additions plotting" be used for all types of analytes?

Yes, "Standard Additions plotting" can be used for all types of analytes, including both organic and inorganic compounds. However, it is important to consider the solubility of the analyte in the standard solutions and the compatibility of the analyte with the measurement method being used.