Stair Descent Physics: Share Lecture Illustration

In summary, the conversation discussed the need for illustrations to explain the biomechanics of walking down a staircase, specifically how a divergent stair riser may affect a person's stride. The conversation referenced previous illustrations in publications and asked for any articles or lectures that could be shared. A helpful link on the physics of a "slinky walk" and a presentation on the biomechanics of stair climbing were provided as useful resources. The conversation ended with appreciation for the helpful information and a desire to assist others in the future.
EPCDESIGNS
I am working on some litigation support tasking and need to illustrate, utilizing stick figures and some basic applied physics, to explain the act of walking down a staircase and how a divergent stair riser may affect the stride of a human descending the stairs...I have seen illustrations in publications previously and cannot remember where, does anyone have an article and/or illustration utilized in one of your lectures or classes to share?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you this was very helpful additionally a very good collection of illustrations on the biomechanics of stair traversing! I am so glad to have found this sight and I hope I may be helpful to other fellow members in the future!

Related to Stair Descent Physics: Share Lecture Illustration

What is stair descent physics?

Stair descent physics is the study of the physical principles and forces involved in walking down a set of stairs. It includes the analysis of how the body's weight, muscle movements, and other factors affect the stability and efficiency of stair descent.

Why is stair descent important to study?

Stair descent is a common activity in our daily lives, and understanding its physics can help us improve our movements and prevent injuries. It is also important for designing safe and functional stairs, especially for people with mobility issues.

What are the key factors that affect stair descent?

The key factors that affect stair descent include the angle and height of the stairs, the individual's body weight and muscle strength, the friction between the feet and the stairs, and the stability of the surrounding environment.

How does body weight affect stair descent?

Body weight plays a significant role in stair descent as it affects the amount of force and pressure exerted on the stairs. A heavier individual will exert more force on the stairs, which can increase the risk of falling or losing balance.

What are some tips for safely descending stairs?

To safely descend stairs, it is important to maintain a straight posture, keep your feet flat on the stairs, and use the handrail for support. It is also helpful to take smaller steps and to be mindful of the angle and height of the stairs.