StackOverflow hit hard by chatbots

• News
  • Thread starter Nugatory
  • Start date
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting.
Though from my calculations, it's not that many people: ≈150 (ref: company blog and maths)
I find it amazing that someone paid $1.8 billion for it just 2 years ago. (ref: wiki)
But I'm curious how this works. How much does Stack Overflow pay the people who developed ChatGPT for its use? And who monitors its answers? I've tried several times to get answers from several AI bots regarding computer programming and not a single one was successful in answering any of my questions.

OmCheeto said:
I've tried several times to get answers from several AI bots regarding computer programming and not a single one was successful in answering any of my questions.

A programmer friend of mine, and a guy I rather trust when it comes to technological subjects, claims that GitHub's Copilot saves him several hours per week - generating in no time code that requires supervision, but is good enough as a starting point to shorten development time.

Likes Borg
I use Chat GPT the same way. It provides an excellent starting point in developing code that would take a significant amount of time to build manually. When there is an error, I point it out and it fixes it. This leaves me a lot more time to work on larger design ideas that I can also work on with GPT in a similar fashion. It greatly speeds up the iterative processes involved with coding.

Related to StackOverflow hit hard by chatbots

1. What does it mean that StackOverflow was "hit hard" by chatbots?

When it is said that StackOverflow was "hit hard" by chatbots, it generally means that the platform experienced significant disruption or challenges due to the influx of interactions from chatbots. These could be in the form of automated questions, answers, or comments that may not align with the quality standards or the community-driven nature of the site, potentially leading to misinformation, clutter, or reduced user experience.

2. How do chatbots negatively impact StackOverflow?

Chatbots can negatively impact StackOverflow by flooding the site with low-quality content, overwhelming genuine user interactions, and diluting the quality of discussions. They might post irrelevant or incorrect answers or questions, which can mislead users, waste time, and make it harder for people to find valuable information. Additionally, managing and moderating this bot-generated content can strain the platform's resources.

3. What measures has StackOverflow taken to mitigate the impact of chatbots?

StackOverflow has implemented several measures to mitigate the impact of chatbots, including more rigorous moderation policies, advanced detection algorithms to identify and block bot-generated content, and stricter rules for posting content. They may also require higher reputation points for certain types of interactions and engage more actively with the community to ensure the integrity and quality of the content.

4. Can chatbots be beneficial to StackOverflow in any way?

Yes, when properly designed and managed, chatbots can be beneficial to StackOverflow. They can help automate routine tasks, such as tagging and categorizing questions, providing quick answers to frequently asked questions, and assisting in moderation efforts. This can enhance efficiency and user experience, provided these bots are closely monitored to ensure they adhere to community standards and contribute positively.

5. What future challenges do chatbots pose to platforms like StackOverflow?

Looking ahead, chatbots pose challenges such as evolving to bypass security and moderation mechanisms, creating more sophisticated spam or low-quality content that is harder to detect, and potentially replacing human interaction which is at the core of community-driven platforms like StackOverflow. Additionally, as AI technology advances, distinguishing between human and bot-generated content will become increasingly difficult, requiring continuous updates to moderation tools and policies.