Stable linear transformations under composition

In summary, the conversation discusses linear transformations over finite fields and their properties. The first question asks about linear maps f that satisfy the property f^{N} = f^n for all N \geq n. The second question asks about linear maps g that satisfy the property g = g \circ f^i for any i \geq 0, with no restriction on f. The conversation suggests that there may be a general formula for g in terms of f, but this has not been proven. However, it is noted that the set of powers of f on a finite field forms a finite semigroup and has at least one idempotent. The conversation also discusses the possibility of obtaining an expression for g in terms of f, but
burritoloco
Hi,

Let [itex]f[/itex] be a linear transformation over some finite field, and denote [itex]f^{n} := f \circ f \circ \cdots \circ f[/itex], [itex]n[/itex] times. What do we know about the linear maps [itex]f[/itex] such that there exist an integer [itex]n[/itex] for which [itex]f^{N} = f^n[/itex] for all [itex]N \geq n[/itex]? Also, how about linear maps [itex]g[/itex] satisfying [itex]g = g \circ f^i [/itex] for any [itex] i\geq 0 [/itex]? Something tells me that I've seen this before in my undergrad years but my memory is very vague on this. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Remark: In the 2nd question, f doesn't have to satisfy the property in the 1st question.

That does not have to do with finite fields particularly. Both cases are related. The transformation decomposes the vector space.
Suppose if g=gf
then we can write x=y+z where
gfy=0
gfz=gz
in other words f can change x to another vector with the same value under g
f thus defines a partition or equivalence class

Thanks lurflurf. I'm not sure I understand why it defines a partition. But I was particularly interested in knowing whether there is a general formula for the linear maps [itex]g[/itex] satisfying [itex]g = g \circ f^i[/itex], in terms of [itex]f[/itex]. For instance, the fact that we have a finite field guarantees that we can find two powers of [itex]f[/itex] that are the same, say[itex] f^a = f^b [/itex] with [itex]a < b[/itex]. Then if we let [itex] g = \sum_{j=a}^{b-1} f^j[/itex], it satisfies our property. I am wondering if there exists a more general expression for [itex]g[/itex]. Cheers.

Last edited:
If not a general formula, it would be nice to have as many examples as possible, like the above. OK, I understand what you mean now (after a good night sleep! hehe). Thanks. But as you can see from the previous post I'm more interested in, given f, what are the g's satisfying this? It might be of use to know that the set of powers of f on a finite field forms a finite semigroup and hence has at least one idempotent.

Last edited:
If g = gf then g(I-f) = 0, which means that the image of I-f must lie in the kernel of g. Similarly the image of I-f2, I-f3 etc lie in the kernel of g. So let K be the sum of the images of all I-fk for all k (of which you only need to check finitely many), then g can be any linear transformation such that K lies in the kernel of g.

Thank you. Now, suppose that we restrict [itex] g [/itex] so that its kernel is the image of [itex] id - f [/itex]. One can show that this [itex] g [/itex] also satisfies [itex] g = g \circ f^i [/itex] for each [itex] i \geq 0 [/itex]. Any ideas whether it would be possible to obtain an expression for [itex] g [/itex] in terms of [itex] f [/itex] or so?

Last edited:
For instance, the example that I gave for [itex] g [/itex] has the image of [itex] id - f [/itex] contained in its kernel, but I'm not sure that we can show the converse is true in all cases of [itex] f [/itex].

Related to Stable linear transformations under composition

1. What is a stable linear transformation?

A stable linear transformation is a mathematical concept that refers to a function or mapping between vector spaces that preserves the structure of the vector spaces. This means that the transformation does not alter the size, shape, or orientation of the vectors in the vector spaces.

2. What does it mean for a linear transformation to be stable under composition?

For a linear transformation to be stable under composition, it means that when two stable linear transformations are composed, the result is still a stable linear transformation. In other words, the composition of two stable linear transformations also preserves the structure of the vector spaces.

3. How is stability of linear transformations under composition determined?

The stability of linear transformations under composition is determined by checking if the transformation satisfies the definition of a linear transformation, which includes properties such as preserving addition and scalar multiplication.

4. What are some applications of stable linear transformations under composition?

Stable linear transformations under composition have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to model and analyze physical systems, design and optimize engineering processes, and develop algorithms for computer graphics and machine learning.

5. Are all linear transformations stable under composition?

No, not all linear transformations are stable under composition. For a linear transformation to be stable under composition, it must satisfy certain conditions, such as preserving the structure of the vector spaces. If a linear transformation does not satisfy these conditions, then it is not considered stable under composition.