Stability of Orbits: Understand Gravitational & Kinetic Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of stable orbits and the factors that contribute to it. The equation for stable orbit is v=sqrt(GM/r) and when an object is bumped slightly, the velocity and energy equations are affected. The conversation also mentions the importance of considering elliptical orbits when determining stability.
DuckAmuck
So I saw a video on youtube: http://youtu.be/uhS8K4gFu4s

And so I thought I'd try to understand the whole stable orbit thing.

So first you have a simple energy equation of E = K + U.

K = (1/2)mv^2 (kinetic energy)
U = -GMm/r^2 (gravitational energy)

r = radius of orbit
v = velocity of orbiting object
M = mass of center object
m = mass of orbiting object

And we want it to be a stable orbit in the first place, so we have:
v=sqrt(GM/r)

Now, let's say we slightly bump the object in orbit. So r -> r + s, where s is much less than r.
(also w is much less than v)

So we can adjust the stable orbit equation:

v=sqrt(GM/r)

v+w = sqrt(GM/(r+s))

approximate for small distances:

v+w = sqrt(GM/r)(1-s/(2r))

So then, you can subtract the original equation out and have:
w = -sqrt(GM/r)s/(2r)
This makes sense directionally, if you bump the orbiting object inwards, the velocity with increase.

So now, back to the energy equation: E = K + U
Since it's a stable orbit being bumped only slightly, you expect it to be able to eventually return to the same state, so E can't change.

So initially you have:

E = (1/2)mv^2 - GMm/r^2

Then apply the bump:

E' = ((1/2)mv^2 )(1+2w/v) - (GMm/r^2 )(1-s/r)

This then reduces to the form:

E' = E + mvw + (GMm/r^2 )s

Since E' must equal E, the two extra terms should add to zero:

E' = E + (mv)sqrt(GM/r)(-s/(2r)) + (GMm/r^2 )s

E' = E + (-1/2)(GMm/r^2 )s + (GMm/r^2 )s

So I am doing something wrong. I have a missing factor of two somewhere, but I don't know why.

If you guys can help, it will be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Stable orbit need not be circular. So if you bump it a little, it can become slightly elliptic and v=sqrt(GM/r) no longer holds. I think that's where things go wrong with your derivation.

Best check of orbit stability is looking at effective potential.

Related to Stability of Orbits: Understand Gravitational & Kinetic Energy

1. What is the relationship between gravitational and kinetic energy in orbits?

The relationship between gravitational and kinetic energy in orbits is known as the conservation of energy. This means that as an object orbits around a larger body, its potential energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases, but the total energy remains constant.

2. How does the mass of the orbiting object affect its stability?

The mass of the orbiting object does not affect its stability. The stability of an orbit is determined by the balance between the gravitational force of the larger body and the centrifugal force of the orbiting object. As long as this balance is maintained, the mass of the orbiting object has no effect on its stability.

3. How do elliptical orbits differ from circular orbits in terms of stability?

Elliptical orbits are less stable than circular orbits because they have a varying distance from the larger body. This means that the gravitational force acting on the orbiting object is constantly changing, which can lead to a less stable orbit. In contrast, circular orbits have a constant distance and thus a constant gravitational force, making them more stable.

4. Can the stability of an orbit change over time?

Yes, the stability of an orbit can change over time. Factors such as external forces, changes in mass or velocity, and gravitational interactions with other objects can all affect the stability of an orbit. As a result, orbits can become more or less stable over time.

5. How is the stability of an orbit related to the escape velocity?

The escape velocity is the minimum velocity required for an object to overcome the gravitational pull of a larger body and escape its orbit. The stability of an orbit is directly related to the escape velocity, as a higher escape velocity indicates a more stable orbit. An orbit with a low escape velocity is more likely to be disrupted and result in the object leaving its orbit.