Srednicki 34.15 - Notation Question

However, there are still some uncertainties that I am unsure of. In summary, the index notation in Srednicki's 34.16 is incorrect and should be corrected to match the notation in 35.29. Additionally, the '*' does not represent conjugation, but rather Hermitian conjugation over the spinor indices.
shehry1

Homework Statement

Is the index notation in Srednicki's 34.16 correct given what he does in 35.29.

Essentially, in going from 34.15 to 34.16, when taking the hermitian conjugate, he does not remove the dots. In going from 35.27 to 35.29, he has done so (the dot on 'a' has moved over onto the 'c').

Also, am I correct in assuming that the '*' does not mean 'Conjugation' but 'Hermitian Conjugation over the Spinor Indices'. Either way, there are some other question marks hovering in my head.

Thanks in Advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations 34.15: <a_i*^a> = (1/2) \int d^4x \, \epsilon^{abcd} \psi_b \overline{\chi}_c \partial_d a_i34.16: <a_i*^a> = (1/2) \int d^4x \, \epsilon^{abcd} \psi_b \overline{\chi}_c \partial_d*a_i*35.27: <a_i*^a> = (1/2) \int d^4x \, \epsilon^{abcd} \psi_b \overline{\chi}_c \partial_da_i*^a35.29: <a_i*^a> = (1/2) \int d^4x \, \epsilon^{abcd} \psi_b \overline{\chi}_c* \partial_da_i^aThe Attempt at a Solution I think that the index notation in 34.16 is incorrect. In 35.29, he has removed the dot from the 'c' index, indicating that it is the spinor index and should not be conjugated. Therefore, 34.16 should look like 35.29, i.e., 34.16: <a_i*^a> = (1/2) \int d^4x \, \epsilon^{abcd} \psi_b \overline{\chi}_c* \partial_da_i*I am also assuming that the '*' does not mean 'Conjugation' but 'Hermitian Conjugation over the Spinor Indices', as this would make more sense.

Related to Srednicki 34.15 - Notation Question

1. What is Srednicki 34.15 notation?

Srednicki 34.15 notation is a specific mathematical notation used in theoretical physics, specifically in the field of quantum field theory. It was developed by physicist Mark Srednicki and is commonly used in his textbook "Quantum Field Theory".

2. What does the "34.15" in Srednicki 34.15 notation refer to?

The "34.15" in Srednicki 34.15 notation refers to the page number in Srednicki's textbook where the notation is introduced and explained. It is used to differentiate this notation from others that may be used in other textbooks or papers.

3. Why is Srednicki 34.15 notation used in theoretical physics?

Srednicki 34.15 notation was designed to simplify and streamline the complex mathematical equations used in quantum field theory. It allows for a more compact and efficient representation of these equations, making them easier to work with and understand.

4. Can Srednicki 34.15 notation be used in other fields of science?

While Srednicki 34.15 notation was specifically developed for use in quantum field theory, it is possible for it to be adapted and used in other fields of science. However, it may not always be the most appropriate or efficient notation for those fields.

5. Where can I learn more about Srednicki 34.15 notation?

In addition to Srednicki's textbook "Quantum Field Theory", there are many online resources and forums where one can learn more about Srednicki 34.15 notation, including its applications and variations. It is also recommended to consult with experienced researchers or professors in the field for further understanding and guidance.