Sr Design Project: Mailbox LED Notif w/ PIC Microcontroller

In summary, the conversation discusses using a PARALAX motion sensor and Cherry position sensor to detect mail in a mailbox and using a microcontroller to transmit a signal to an LED in the house. The individual is seeking advice on which microcontroller to use and the other person suggests using an Atmega32 with 8 A/D converters and a simple USART for wireless communication.
soccerkingjb
I am currently working on my senior design project. My idea is to create a system that will detect when a person has mail in their mailbox and notify that person by transmitting a signal to a box in the house that will light an LED. I am planning on using a PARALAX motion sensor in the mailbox and a Cherry position sensor on the outside of the mailbox to detect the position of the flag. My question is on what type of microcontroller to use to do this. I was thinking of using a PIC but have no idea on which microcontroller to get. Any help would e appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I did the exact same thing for my junior design project. However we used a basic magnetic sensor to detect the flag, an XBEE to communicate wirelessly with another module, and we used IR transmitters/detectors to detect if there was mail. Good luck to you!

To answer your question, choose a chip which will let you program it in your language of choice, and one which has a suitable number or inputs/outputs.

We used the Atmega32. It supports C, had 8 A/D converts (which we used for the 8 IR detectors), and a simple USART which made working with the wireless communicator device easy.

I am excited to hear about your senior design project. It sounds like a practical and useful application of technology. Your idea to use a motion sensor and position sensor to detect when mail is in the mailbox is a creative and effective approach.

In terms of the microcontroller, there are many options available and it ultimately depends on your specific project requirements and budget. However, the PIC microcontroller is a popular and reliable choice for projects like yours. It is known for its low power consumption, wide range of features, and easy programmability.

To determine which specific PIC microcontroller to use, you should consider factors such as the number of inputs and outputs needed, processing speed, memory size, and communication capabilities. It may also be helpful to consult with your project advisor or a knowledgeable electronics engineer for guidance on selecting the best microcontroller for your project.

I wish you the best of luck with your project and look forward to seeing the final results. Keep up the good work!

Related to Sr Design Project: Mailbox LED Notif w/ PIC Microcontroller

1. What is the purpose of the "Mailbox LED Notif w/ PIC Microcontroller" project?

The purpose of this project is to create a system that will notify homeowners when their mailbox has been opened. This can help prevent missed mail or important packages, and can also act as a security measure for the homeowner.

2. How does the PIC Microcontroller work in this project?

The PIC Microcontroller is the main component of the project and is responsible for controlling the LED notification system. It receives signals from sensors placed in the mailbox and triggers the LED lights to turn on when the mailbox is opened.

3. What materials are needed to build this project?

The materials needed for this project include a PIC Microcontroller, LED lights, sensors, wires, a power source, and a breadboard or PCB to assemble the circuit. Additional materials may be required depending on the specific design chosen by the scientist.

4. Can this project be customized to fit different types of mailboxes?

Yes, this project can be customized to fit different types of mailboxes. The placement and type of sensors used may vary depending on the size and shape of the mailbox, but the overall functionality can be adapted to fit various designs.

5. Are there any potential challenges or limitations with this project?

One potential challenge with this project is ensuring that the sensors are properly placed and calibrated to accurately detect when the mailbox is opened. Additionally, the range of the LED lights may be limited and may not be visible from long distances. However, these limitations can be addressed through proper testing and adjustments during the design process.