Squirting fluids by driving Syringes (experiment)

In summary, a scientist new to PF is conducting an experiment involving two different capacity syringes filled with water and applying a constant force to determine their maximum vertical squirting height. They are struggling to understand the principles involved, particularly in regards to pressure within the syringe. Factors such as viscosity, compressibility, and diameter of the syringe may play a role in the results. Additional experiments are recommended to better understand these principles and achieve more accurate results.
beetleblur
Hello, I'm new to PF and looking for some guidance!

I'm currently investigating a simple experiment involving two different capacity syringes filled with water and then applying a constant force to see their maximum verticle squirting height; My basic apparatus is basically this;
zmawdz.jpg

We have a 10ml and a 2ml syringe and we drive them using a set of weights we had specifically made between 300-500g and we measure the maximum height using a high-speed camera set up, and compare both. I'm basically struggling with some of the concepts involved, despite being relatively simple (i think I've been overthinking everything)

My real issue is understanding the principles involved with the pressure's within the syringe. Using the volume flow continuity A1v1=A2v2 and bernoulli's equation in unison, I thought i'd get some mutual answers (i.e plugging known numbers to find v1 by bernoulli's) but bernoulli gave a result which didn't compare to the experimental result and applying the continuity. I
thought P1 = mg/A and P2 would be just atmospheric pressure as the fluid would be in the air, but is it really that simple? The height obviously increases as the force used to drive syringe onto the plunger increases meaning that the pressure increases, but what am I missing to describe the system accurately?

for example, using continuity laws, for 510g of mass on the 10ml syringe, the height was roughly 65cm, hence v2 = sqrt(2gh)= 3.57m/s
so if A1 is roughly =piR^2 = 3.14x10-4
and A2 is roughly = pir^2 = 3.14x10-6
so v1 = 0.0357m/s

Bernoulli's = P1+0.5ρv1^2+ρgh1=P2+0.5ρV2^2+ρgh2, but I understand that the pressure changes with time as the mass acts on the syringe. If i choose P1 as mg/A1 where mg is just the applied mass, P1=15.9kPa, P2= 101235 Pa, v2=3.57m/s and h1=0.11m (hence h2=0) gives v1 = 13.55m/s; an unphysical result; Is the pressure P1 something like (F/A)-Atmospheric?

Can anyone show me where I am going wrong? If there is any relevant theory and I'm treating the problem too simply then any hints would be great (Poiseuille flow etc..) but i suspect that it's something to do with how I'm thinking about the problem; I had initially tried a simple force diagram as v1 = speed syringe falls onto plunger..

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow scientist,

First of all, welcome to PF! It's great to have you here and I'm happy to help with your experiment.

It seems like you have a solid understanding of the basic principles involved in your experiment, but as you mentioned, there may be some other factors at play that you haven't considered yet.

One important factor to consider is the viscosity of the water in the syringes. This can affect the flow rate and pressure in the syringe, and could explain the discrepancy between your theoretical and experimental results. You may need to incorporate the Poiseuille equation, which takes into account the viscosity of the fluid, into your calculations.

Another factor to consider is the compressibility of the water. As you apply force to the syringe, the volume of the water may decrease and this can affect the pressure and flow rate. This is especially important to consider for the smaller 2ml syringe.

In addition, the diameter of the syringe may also play a role in the pressure and flow rate. A smaller diameter syringe may have a higher pressure and flow rate than a larger diameter syringe, even with the same force applied.

I would recommend conducting some additional experiments with different variables, such as using different types of fluids or varying the diameter of the syringes, to see how they affect your results. This will help you better understand the principles at play and may give you more accurate results.

I hope this helps and good luck with your experiment!

Related to Squirting fluids by driving Syringes (experiment)

1. What is the purpose of the experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate the principle of fluid displacement by using syringes as a tool. This can help to understand how fluids move and are transferred in various scenarios.

2. What materials are needed for the experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment are two syringes of different sizes, water or any other liquid, a container to hold the liquid, and a ruler or measuring tape to measure the distance traveled by the fluid.

3. How do you set up the experiment?

To set up the experiment, first fill one syringe with water and connect it to the other syringe using a tubing or a small rubber hose. Make sure the connection is tight and no air can escape. Place the second syringe in the container filled with water and place the first syringe on a higher surface. This will create a pressure difference and cause the water to be squirted out of the second syringe.

4. What are the variables in this experiment?

The independent variable in this experiment is the size of the syringes, as it can be changed and will affect the distance the fluid travels. The dependent variable is the distance the fluid travels, as it is measured and affected by the independent variable. Other controlled variables include the type of fluid, the force applied, and the angle at which the syringes are placed.

5. What are some possible sources of error in this experiment?

Some possible sources of error in this experiment include air leaks in the syringe connection, inconsistencies in the force applied, and differences in the surface tension of the fluid. It is important to make sure the connection is tight and the force applied is consistent to reduce these errors.