Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] squaring sums

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
$$
\left(\sum_{i = 1}^n(x_i - y_i)\right)^2 = \sum_{i = 1}^n(x_i - y_i)^2 + \sum_{1\leq i\leq j\leq n}|x_i - y_i||x_j-y_j|
$$
Why is this true?

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
$$
\left(\sum_{i = 1}^n(x_i - y_i)\right)^2 = \sum_{i = 1}^n(x_i - y_i)^2 + \sum_{1\leq i{\color{red}<}j\leq n}|x_i - y_i||x_j-y_j|
$$
Why is this true?
Hi dwsmith, :)

I think you will be able prove this by mathematical induction. I further think that in the second summation the inequality should be changed as highlighted (you can verify this by taking \(n=1\)).

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
$$
\left(\sum_{i = 1}^n(x_i - y_i)\right)^2 = \sum_{i = 1}^n(x_i - y_i)^2 + \sum_{1\leq i\leq j\leq n}|x_i - y_i||x_j-y_j|
$$
Why is this true?
Even with the correction suggested by Sudharaka, this formula is not true. To start with, simplify it by writing $z_i = x_i-y_i$. The formula becomes $$ \Bigl(\sum_{i = 1}^nz_i\Bigr)^2 = \sum_{i = 1}^nz_i^2 + \sum_{1\leqslant i < j\leqslant n}|z_i||z_j|.$$

Test that formula by putting n=2. It becomes $(z_1+z_{\,2})^2 = z_1^2 + z_{\,2}^2 + |z_1||z_{\,2}|$. Compare that with the correct formula $(z_1+z_{\,2})^2 = z_1^2 + z_{\,2}^2 + 2z_1z_{\,2}$ and you see that two things are wrong: there is a missing 2, and the absolute value signs should not be there.

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Even with the correction suggested by Sudharaka, this formula is not true. To start with, simplify it by writing $z_i = x_i-y_i$. The formula becomes $$ \Bigl(\sum_{i = 1}^nz_i\Bigr)^2 = \sum_{i = 1}^nz_i^2 + \sum_{1\leqslant i < j\leqslant n}|z_i||z_j|.$$

Test that formula by putting n=2. It becomes $(z_1+z_{\,2})^2 = z_1^2 + z_{\,2}^2 + |z_1||z_{\,2}|$. Compare that with the correct formula $(z_1+z_{\,2})^2 = z_1^2 + z_{\,2}^2 + 2z_1z_{\,2}$ and you see that two things are wrong: there is a missing 2, and the absolute value signs should not be there.
Thank you for pointing that out. Thinking about this further I came up with the following. :)

\[\left(\sum_{i = 1}^nz_i\right)^2=\sum_{i=1}^{n}z_i^2 + \sum_{i\neq j}z_{i}z_{j}\]

Hence,

\[\left(\sum_{i = 1}^n(x_{i}-y_{i})\right)^2=\sum_{i=1}^{n}(x_{i}-y_{i})^2 + \sum_{i\neq j}(x_{i}-y_{i})(x_{j}-y_{j})\]