What is the Frequency of a Female Duck's Quack?

• Thread starter timejim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequency
In summary, timejim recorded the sound of a duck quack and used a frequency meter to determine that it quacked at 479 Hertz. He is now considering measuring the frequency of a geese "honk" next. There is a discussion about the composition of the duck's quack and whether female ducks quack at a higher frequency. One_raven suggests using a resonant circuit to determine the dominant frequencies, and Ivan Seeking mentions a study on duck quacks. Timejim offers to share the sound file for others to analyze. Monique makes a joke about female ducks quacking only with permission from male ducks.
timejim
I recorded the sound of a Duck quack (kwack), then, using my frequency meter I was able to determine that the duck quacked at 479 Hertz, for this particular Duck. I am thinking of trying to determine the frequency of a Geese "honk" next. Stay tuned.

Physics news on Phys.org
u ahve way too much time on your hands! but its very interesting none the less.

I would think that a duck's quack would have a very noisy signature. I bet the 479 hertz is just the largest component. Can you filter it out and repeat the measurement?

Njorl

Do female Ducks quack at a higher frequency?

Originally posted by Monique

Only if you pull their tail

timejim,
Yes, our quack is made up of many frequencies. You can actually hear this since the duck does not produce a perfect tone. Listen to a 479 Hz tone, say using a tone generator chip or a 555 timer from Radio Shack; this sounds nothing like our duck...even if modulated in a quacking manner.

You could determine the dominate frequencies with the right equipment; you might consider a tuned, resonant circuit to check for the strength of each frequency - really the sound version of a radio which selects specific frequencies in the radio part of the EM spectrum. Your frequency meter is likely showing the RMS average of all frequencies present; with the dominant frequency(s) being the largest contributor(s).

Then you can let us know if they really do or do not echo.
If not, you can figure out why.

Originally posted by timejim
I recorded the sound of a Duck quack (kwack), then, using my frequency meter I was able to determine that the duck quacked at 479 Hertz, for this particular Duck. I am thinking of trying to determine the frequency of a Geese "honk" next. Stay tuned.

just give me the sound file. I'll post the FFT for everybody...

Originally posted by Monique

They don't quack unless the male duck gives them "quacking" permission! Har har har.

1. What is the frequency of a quacking duck?

The frequency of a quacking duck can vary, but on average it is around 500 hertz.

2. Can a duck's quack be heard by humans?

Yes, a duck's quack can be heard by humans. Their quacks typically fall within the range of human hearing, which is between 20 and 20,000 hertz.

3. Does the frequency of a duck's quack change with age?

Yes, the frequency of a duck's quack can change with age. Younger ducks tend to have higher pitched quacks, while older ducks may have lower pitched quacks.

4. Do different species of ducks have different quacking frequencies?

Yes, different species of ducks can have different quacking frequencies. This can depend on the size and shape of their vocal cords, as well as other anatomical differences.

5. Can a duck's quack be used to identify its gender?

No, a duck's quack cannot be used to identify its gender. While male ducks typically have louder and deeper quacks, there is no reliable way to determine the gender of a duck based on its quack alone.