Most Nobel Prize Winners by Country and University

In summary, most Nobel Prize by countries from 1901-2002 was America with 91, the United Kingdom with 9, Germany with 8, France with 4, Sweden with 18, Russia with 11, the Netherlands with 9, Denmark with 8, Japan with 7, Switzerland with 4, and Canada with 2. The University with the most Nobel Prize by University from 1901-2002 was Harvard with 28. Universities that made an appearance in the top 10 for the past 25 years are Stanford, Harvard, Chicago, Cambridge, and Chicago.
Monique said:
Does anyone have the stats? I think that before WOII European countries were infact getting more nobel prizes than the US and that this all changed after WOII due to the reason I mentioned.
A partial answer : The physics prize until the war (1901-1939), by country :

Germany - 10
UK - 10
USA - 6
France - 4
Netherlands - 4
Austria - 2
Italy - 2
Sweden - 2
Switzerland - 2
Denmark - 1
India - 1

Odd numbers, it seems, were not very popular!

Also, I suspect the Dutch word for 'war' begins with the letter O.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jesus guys, this died two years ago.

Which is actually kind of hard to believe. I remember this thread like it happened yesterday.

Do you have numbers on how that changed specific to physics after the war, Gokul?

To Huazi, I'd like to say BlackVision's numbers were limited to the sciences, but his links aren't working any longer and he's been gone for a while now.

Last edited:
I couldn't see it mentioned...

Nowadays, the reason for all the US winners is that the universities over there are very rich and can employ these great scientists from all over the world.

I didn't realize it was so old I apologise for starting it off again.

loseyourname said:
Do you have numbers on how that changed specific to physics after the war, Gokul?
After the war (1943 -1970) : Physics Prize by Country*

USA - 23
Former USSR - 6
Germany - 5
UK - 5
France - 2
Japan - 2
Netherlands - 1
Sweden - 1
Denmark - 1

* Note : Both here, and in the previous list, I've listed the country where the Prize-winning work was done, not the country of birth. This is denoted by the label "Work Affiliation" (WA) - by the Nobel Prize website.

But short of doing a recount by country of birth, I'd say that over half the US Prize-winners were born in the US (eg : Bardeen, Brattain, Shockley, Lamb, Feynman, Schwinger, Gell-Mann - off the top of my head).

<more later>

huazi said:
Cambridge have way more nobel prize winners than 23! Just Trinity college only had 31 nobel winners.

Have a look at the Cambridge University offical website for nobel winners:
http://www.cam.ac.uk/cambuniv/nobelprize.html
The criteria that Cambridge uses on their website to count Nobel Prize is different than the criteria used on the first post. The criteria used on the first post seem to count only current staff members at the time instead of those that have been affiliates with the university at the past.

Last edited by a moderator: