Calculating Tidal Patterns in a Harbour

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving the time and height of tides in a harbour. The problem asks for the angular frequency, time interval, and rate of change of the tide when it is 5.0m above low tide. The person asking for help is reminded to attempt the problem on their own before seeking assistance.
chense
In a harbour, the time between successive high tides is 10 hours. On a day when the height of high tide above low tide is 8.0m, find
(i) the angular frequency of the tides;
(ii) the time interval within a cycle during which the sea-water is more than 5.0m above the low tide;
(iii) the rate at which the tide is rising or falling when the sea-water is 5.0m above the low tide.

Pls help me solve this problem, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Chense, and welcome to PF.

We will be happy to help you with your homework, but first we would like to see how you started and where you got stuck.

Thanks!

Just above your post is one titled "Sticky- Read before posting".
Did you read it before posting?

The critical part is:
"Please, for your own sake, try your homework before you come here, and show us where you got stuck. Speaking for myself, I already know that I know how to do your problem. Me doing it for you accomplishes nothing."

Yeah, the problem is pretty simple. What class is this for, and is it college or HS?

1. How is the tide calculated in a harbour?

The tide in a harbour is calculated using a combination of historical data, mathematical equations, and real-time observations. First, the historical data of tidal patterns in the area is collected and analyzed. Then, mathematical equations are used to calculate the predicted tide based on factors such as the position of the moon and sun, the shape of the coastline, and the depth of the water. Real-time observations, such as water level measurements, are also taken to adjust the calculations and make them more accurate.

2. What factors affect the tidal patterns in a harbour?

There are several factors that can affect the tidal patterns in a harbour, including the position of the moon and sun, the shape and depth of the harbour, and the topography of the surrounding land. Other factors such as wind, weather, and ocean currents can also have an impact on the tides. These factors must all be taken into consideration when calculating the tidal patterns in a harbour.

3. How often do the tides change in a harbour?

The tides in a harbour change approximately every 6 hours, with two high tides and two low tides occurring each day. However, the exact timing and height of each tide can vary depending on the location and other factors. It is important to regularly update the calculations and observe real-time data to accurately predict the tides in a harbour.

4. Can tidal patterns be accurately predicted?

While there are many factors that can affect tidal patterns, they can be accurately predicted using a combination of historical data, mathematical equations, and real-time observations. However, unexpected events such as storms or changes in the coastline can impact the accuracy of the predictions. It is important to regularly update the calculations and make adjustments as needed to ensure accurate predictions.

5. How are tidal patterns used in a harbour?

Tidal patterns in a harbour are important for a variety of reasons. They can be used to determine the best times for boating or fishing, as well as the safest times for navigation. Tidal patterns also play a crucial role in the maintenance and construction of harbours, as they can affect erosion and sedimentation. They are also important for environmental purposes, as they can impact the habitats and ecosystems of the harbour and surrounding areas.