Square root of the delta function

In summary, the colombeau function is a function that does not exist in the range -1 to 1. It can be approximated by a sequence of finite spike functions. Bell's theorem shows that there is no such function.
junt
Is square root of delta function a delta function again?

$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x) \sqrt{\delta(x-a)} dx$$

How is this integral evaluated?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could try approximating the delta function by a sequence of finite spike functions and see what happens.

This is actually related to Bell's theorem. It is not the solution to the OP : searching A s.t. $$\int A (a,\lambda)A (\lambda,b)d\lambda=-cos (a-b) $$

If we make the assumption $$A (a,\lambda)=f (a-\lambda) $$ and let $$u=a-\lambda $$ we get a convolution :

$$\int f (u)f (a-b-u)du=-cos (a-b) $$

Using the Fourier convolution theorem :

$$2F^2 (\omega)=-\delta (\omega+1)-\delta (\omega-1)$$

Hence the searched function f is given by

$$f (x)=\frac {i}{\sqrt {2}}\int e^{ikx}\sqrt {\delta (k+1)+\delta (k-1)} $$

Bell's theorem shows that there is no such f.

Last edited:
Addendum : no such f in the range -1 to 1

junt said:
∫∞−∞f(x)√δ(x−a)dx​
\int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x) \sqrt{\delta(x-a)} dx

How is this integral evaluated?
not every sequence of mathematical symbols makes sense

You could aslo think it in the functional sense : ##\int\delta(x-y)f(y)dy=f(x)=:\Delta_x(f)##

Then the root of delta would be a semi evaluation of f , which you could compute by semi integrating, using Cauchy's formula for repeated integration extended to real values of fractional calculus :

##\sqrt{\Delta_x}(f)=\frac{1}{\Gamma(1/2)}\lim_{y\rightarrow\infty}\int^y\delta(x-y)f(t)(y-t)^{-1/2}dt##

Last edited:
Error : my last formula is wrong since it contains a function depending on the limits of integration hence Cauchy's formula for repeated integral cannot be so easily used

I have never met such a formula before. If it can exist, I suppose
[tex]\int f(x)\sqrt{\delta(x-a)}dx=\int \frac{f(x)}{\sqrt{\delta(x-a)}}\delta(x-a)dx=\frac{f(a)}{\sqrt{\delta(0)}}=0[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
PeroK said:
You could try approximating the delta function by a sequence of finite spike functions and see what happens.
and then check that what it is happened does not depend on a sequence

EDIT: I just realized that this thread is three years old...

To me it seems like ##\sqrt{\delta(t)}## probably doesn't exist. Here is my thinking (this is not a proof).

First, as suggested by PeroK, start with one particular sequence of finite spikes that converges to a delta function. Let ##p_n(t) = n## for ##-\frac{1}{2n}\leq t\leq\frac{1}{2n}##, and zero everywhere else. If ##\sqrt{\delta(t)}## exists, then I would hope that the sequence ##\sqrt{p_n(t)}## would converge to it. Let ##\phi## be a continuous test function, then
$$
\begin{eqnarray*}
\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\int \phi(t) \sqrt{p_n(t)} & = &
\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \sqrt{n}\int_{-1/2n}^{1/2n} \phi(t) dt \\
\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \sqrt{n}\,\phi(\tau)\int_{-1/2n}^{1/2n} dt
\end{eqnarray*}
$$
for some ##\tau \in [-\frac{1}{2n}, \frac{1}{2n}]##. Then obviously we find that the limit is zero. So we have ##\sqrt{p_n(t)}\rightarrow 0##, even though ##p_n(t)\rightarrow \delta(t)##. This suggests that either ##\sqrt{\delta(t)}=0## or it doesn't exist.

Now I want to look at the product of ##\sqrt{\delta(t)}## with itself. We usually don't talk about multiplying distributions since in general the product of two distributions is not a distribution. However, multiplication of two distributions is allowed in those cases where the product is a distribution. In this case, if ##\sqrt{\delta(t)}## is a distribution then obviously it can be multiplied by itself to give the delta distribution. Also, if ##\sqrt{\delta(t)}## is a distribution then it has a Fourier transform that we will denote by ##\mathcal{F}\left[\sqrt{\delta(t)}\right]=F(\omega)##. Now we can use the convolution theorem for Fourier transforms $$
\begin{eqnarray*}
1 & = & \mathcal{F}\left[{ \delta(t)}\right] \
& = & \mathcal{F}\left[\sqrt{ \delta(t)}\sqrt{ \delta(t)}\right] \
& = & \frac{1}{2\pi}F(\omega)\ast F(\omega).
\end{eqnarray*}
$$
I don't know whether a distribution ##F(\omega)## exists that is a constant when convolved with itself. If ##F(\omega)## doesn't exist, then neither does ##\sqrt{\delta(t)}##; if it does exist then clearly ##F(\omega)\neq 0##. However, this seems to contradict our earlier finding that suggests ##\sqrt{\delta(t)}=0## which would imply ##F(\omega)=0##.

So I suspect that ##\sqrt{\delta(t)}## doesn't exist. Or if it does exist, it doesn't mean what the notation suggests it should mean.

jason

Last edited:
Likes wrobel
$$\delta(x)$$ is not a function but a distribution according to Distribution Theory, I do not think of any possible case of finding it under a squareroot?

About multiplication of generalized functions see Colombeau theory of generalized functions

Likes jasonRF
wrobel said:
About multiplication of generalized functions see Colombeau theory of generalized functions
Do you know of any references on Colombeau theory that are appropriate for non-mathematicians? It looks intriguing, but the references that popped up with a quick google search seem to require a little more mathematical knowledge/sophistication than I have. There are many "simple" treatments of the Schwartz theory of distributions - such as the book by Strichartz (where I first learned it). Is there anything equivalent for the Colombeau theory, or does it inherently require more tools to properly explain?

thanks,

Jason

Supplement to post #9

As eigenfunction of x, ##\delta(x)## have the relation
[tex]f(x) \delta(x) = f(0) \delta(x)[/tex]

If we allow f be not only normal function but also distribution ##\delta^{a}(x)##
[tex]\delta^{a}(x)\delta(x)=\delta^{a}(0)\delta(x)[/tex]

Let a=-1/2
[tex]\delta^{1/2}(x)=\delta^{-1/2}(0)\delta(x)[/tex]
so it is delta function times the coefficient ##\delta^{-1/2}(0)=0##. So
[tex]\delta^{1/2}(x)=0[/tex] in the similar sense with
[tex]x\delta(x)=0[/tex]
when multiplied by normal function f of f(0) ##\neq \infty## and integrated.

Last edited:
jasonRF said:
Do you know of any references on Colombeau theory that are appropriate for non-mathematicians? It looks intriguing, but the references that popped up with a quick google s
Long ago I saw the original Colombeau's monography The new generalized functions and multiplications of distributions. I believe it is appropriate.

Related to Square root of the delta function

1. What is the square root of the delta function?

The square root of the delta function is a mathematical concept that represents the inverse of the delta function. It is defined as the function that, when squared, gives the delta function.

2. What is the purpose of the square root of the delta function?

The square root of the delta function is commonly used in physics and engineering to represent a signal or event that occurs instantaneously at a specific point in time or space. It is also used in solving differential equations and in Fourier analysis.

3. How is the square root of the delta function calculated?

The square root of the delta function is not always explicitly calculated, as it is often used as a theoretical concept. However, it can be defined mathematically as the limit of a Gaussian function with decreasing standard deviation.

4. What are the properties of the square root of the delta function?

Some important properties of the square root of the delta function include: it is an even function, it has a maximum value of infinity at the origin, and it is equal to zero everywhere except at the origin where it is undefined.

5. What are some real-life applications of the square root of the delta function?

The square root of the delta function has many real-life applications in physics and engineering. It is used to model the behavior of electrical circuits, to analyze the response of systems to an impulse input, and in image processing for edge detection.