Square Plate Parallel, with angle, Capacitance Problem

In summary, the problem involves finding an equation for an approximation of the capacitance between two parallel plates, one on the x-axis starting at the origin and the other at a distance d up the y-axis at an angle theta. The equation for purely parallel plates is given as C = (E0 * A)/d = (E0 * a^2)/d, but for the angled plates, a chain of small infinite capacitance in parallel needs to be considered and an integral needs to be done. The approach suggested is to start with a small number of discrete capacitor plates to determine the y separation as a function of x and the delta-x, and then use this in the limit where delta-x shrinks to zero to set up the integral
sdhick
Given two parallel plates, length a. One being on the x axis, starting at the origin. The other starting a distance, d up the y-axis at an angle theta (parallel to the x axis), for theta being small. I need to find an equation for an approximation of the capacitance.

I know that if the two plates were purely parallel, C = (E0 * A)/d = (E0 * a^2)/d and that the equation I'm looking for should be (E0 * a^2)/d *( something )
And I know that I need to think of this as a chain of small infinite capacitance in parallel along the angled plate. Meaning I need to do an integral.

I however do not even know where to start. I don't want anyone to just give me the something, but I would love some help on where to start with the integral.

I'm thinking it will have to be and integral (not sure on the limits) of the E field dotted with the ds(or distance).

I would appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
sdhick said:
Given two parallel plates, length a. One being on the x axis, starting at the origin. The other starting a distance, d up the y-axis at an angle theta (parallel to the x axis), for theta being small. I need to find an equation for an approximation of the capacitance.

I know that if the two plates were purely parallel, C = (E0 * A)/d = (E0 * a^2)/d and that the equation I'm looking for should be (E0 * a^2)/d *( something )
And I know that I need to think of this as a chain of small infinite capacitance in parallel along the angled plate. Meaning I need to do an integral.

I however do not even know where to start. I don't want anyone to just give me the something, but I would love some help on where to start with the integral.

I'm thinking it will have to be and integral (not sure on the limits) of the E field dotted with the ds(or distance).

I would appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks in advance!

What a fun problem! I hadn't seen this one before.

You absolutely have the right idea -- that's how I would approach the problem. To help you set up the integral, start by drawing a small number of discrete caps, with the plates spaced farther and farther apart. I'd start with something like 4 cap plate pairs. Use that drawing to figure out what the y separation as a function of x is (it will be a trig function... which one?), and what the delta-x is (that relates to the area). Then see if that helps you set up the integral in the limit where delta-x shrinks to zero. Post your work here if it doesn't click for you and we'll help based on what you post.

Fun problem. Welcome to the PF.

EDIT -- an intermediate step if you need it, between the 4-cap drawing and the integral, would be to write a summation equation, showing the equation and the terms for the summation of those 4 capacitors.

Related to Square Plate Parallel, with angle, Capacitance Problem

What is the capacitance of a square plate parallel with an angle?

The capacitance of a square plate parallel with an angle depends on the distance between the plates, the area of the plates, and the dielectric constant of the material between the plates.

How do you calculate the capacitance of a square plate parallel with an angle?

The capacitance can be calculated using the formula C = εA/d, where C is the capacitance, ε is the dielectric constant, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

What is the relationship between the angle and capacitance in this problem?

The angle between the plates does not directly affect the capacitance in this problem. The capacitance is determined by the distance and area of the plates.

What is the significance of using a square plate in this problem?

The shape of the plates does not affect the capacitance in this problem. However, using a square plate can make the calculations simpler and more symmetrical.

How does the dielectric constant affect the capacitance in this problem?

The dielectric constant is a measure of the ability of a material to store electrical energy. Higher dielectric constants result in higher capacitance values.