I have a huge jigsaw puzzle to assemble

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Puzzle
In summary, the conversation discusses different algorithms for solving problems, specifically a jigsaw puzzle. The speaker mentions using the greedy algorithm, which involves joining pairs of pieces together and then adding more pieces to the assembled sections. They also bring up the "Watchmaker's" paradigm, a concept created by Herb Simon, who the speaker worked for as a research assistant.
I have a huge jigsaw puzzle to assemble. I start by looking through the pieces and see if there are pairs I can join. Then, I look through the pairs and see what other pieces I can add on. The size of my assembled pieces grows and their number shrinks. I am using the algorithmic paradigm called...

Physics news on Phys.org
Herb Simon (Nobel laureate) had something called the "Watchmaker's" paradigm. I wonder if that's what you have in mind. He was a neat guy---I worked as a research assistant for him for a while

The greedy algorithm.

P.S. Would you indicate which answer was correct if someone posts multiples. (like brainteaser 65)

Divide and Conquer algorithm

Robert Zaleski with the point!

1. How do I start assembling a large jigsaw puzzle?

To start assembling a large jigsaw puzzle, first lay out all the pieces on a flat surface and sort them according to their edges and colors. Then, look for the corner and edge pieces and start building the frame of the puzzle. Once the frame is complete, fill in the remaining pieces according to their colors or patterns.

2. How long does it take to complete a large jigsaw puzzle?

The time it takes to complete a large jigsaw puzzle can vary depending on the number of pieces and the complexity of the image. On average, it can take anywhere from a few hours to a few weeks to finish a large puzzle.

3. How do I keep track of the pieces while assembling a large jigsaw puzzle?

To keep track of the pieces while assembling a large jigsaw puzzle, you can use a sorting tray or a piece organizer. These tools can help you keep the pieces organized and prevent losing any pieces.

4. What are some tips for assembling a large jigsaw puzzle?

Some tips for assembling a large jigsaw puzzle include starting with the edges and corners, working on one section at a time, and taking breaks to avoid eye strain and fatigue. It's also helpful to have good lighting and a clean, flat surface to work on.

5. How do I store a large jigsaw puzzle once it's assembled?

To store a large jigsaw puzzle once it's assembled, you can use a puzzle storage mat or a large piece of cardboard to carefully wrap and protect the puzzle. Alternatively, you can frame the completed puzzle and hang it on a wall as a decoration.