Square Of A Number Is Non-negative

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Square
So, with that property in hand, you can start from your "(-a)(-a) = a x a = a^2 > 0" and proceed to prove the case a< 0.In summary, the conversation revolves around proving that the square of a number is always non-negative. The person seeking aid presents a proof for the case when a < 0, but upon further discussion, it is revealed that the proof does not address the case when a > 0. The conversation then delves into discussing whether or not the given properties and facts can be used in the proof, with the conclusion being that the initial proof is valid as long as the property of a*a = (-a)*(-a) is allowed
Bashyboy
Hello, I am seeking some aid in proving that the square of a number is always non-negative. Here is some of my proof:

A number, call it a, is either positive, negative, or zero. A number squared is produced when you take the number and multiply it by itself. So, we have three cases to consider.

When a < 0:

If a < 0, then 0 - a > 0; and so, 0 - a = -a must be in the set of positive numbers. If -a is in the set of positive numbers, then, by property P12 (Closure under multiplication: If a and b are in P, then a • b is in P), (-a)(-a) must be in the set of positive numbers, implying that it is a positive number, and the negative signs may vanish. (-a)(-a) = a x a = a^2 > 0.

Initially, I thought that this proof would be valid; but as I went along further along, I developed an inkling of a feeling that it was not so.

What is wrong with the proof of the case a > 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
The only thing "wrong with the proof of the case a> 0" is that the "proof" says nothing about a> 0! You say "when a< 0" but give no other case.

Of course, if a> 0 then "property P12" itself immediately tells you that a*a is positive.

No, I intentionally did not include the case when a > 0, because I had ran into trouble with the case when a < 0. Just to be clear, my proof for the case a < 0 is valid?

Bashyboy said:
No, I intentionally did not include the case when a > 0, because I had ran into trouble with the case when a < 0. Just to be clear, my proof for the case a < 0 is valid?

That depends on what properties you are permitted to use. You say that (-a)*(-a) = a^2 (true!), but have you already been given this, or is this yet again another thing that needs to be proved first?

Bashyboy said:
A number, call it a, is either positive, negative, or zero.

OR ... imaginary. Are you leaving those out on purpose? You didn't say so.

The difficulty I am having with my proof is when I state, "If a < 0, then 0 - a > 0; and so, 0 - a = -a must be in the set of positive numbers." Doesn't that mean that -a is a positive number, and clearly not a negative number, implying the next step I proceed is simply the multiplication of two POSITIVE numbers, (-a)(-a), which doesn't prove anything about the multiplication of two NEGATIVE numbers? Or am I wrong, and my initial proof is correct?

I'm not sure what mathematical rules you're allowed for the proof, but perhaps these statements could be used:

(+1)(a) = a
(-1)(a) = -a
(+1)(+1) = 1
(-1)(-1) = 1
((a)(b))(c) = (a)((b)(c)) ; multiplication is associative

Bashyboy said:
The difficulty I am having with my proof is when I state, "If a < 0, then 0 - a > 0; and so, 0 - a = -a must be in the set of positive numbers." Doesn't that mean that -a is a positive number, and clearly not a negative number, implying the next step I proceed is simply the multiplication of two POSITIVE numbers, (-a)(-a), which doesn't prove anything about the multiplication of two NEGATIVE numbers? Or am I wrong, and my initial proof is correct?

No, it proves exactly what you want. It all hinges on whether or not you know or are allowed to use the property a*a = (-a)*(-a). Remember me asking about that in my first response? You never gave an answer.

I am terribly Sorry, Ray, for not having answered your question. Yes, I am able to use the fact that
a*a = (-a)*(-a)

Bashyboy said:
I am terribly Sorry, Ray, for not having answered your question. Yes, I am able to use the fact that
a*a = (-a)*(-a)

No need to apologize: the question was for your benefit, not mine.

Related to Square Of A Number Is Non-negative

1. What does it mean for a square of a number to be non-negative?

When we square a number, we multiply it by itself. A non-negative number is any number that is equal to or greater than zero. So, a square of a number being non-negative means that the result of squaring that number is equal to or greater than zero.

2. How do you calculate the square of a number?

To calculate the square of a number, we simply multiply the number by itself. For example, the square of 3 is 3 x 3 = 9. This can also be written as 3², where the small 2 represents the exponent.

3. Is the square of any number always non-negative?

Yes, the square of any real number is always non-negative. This is because when we multiply two positive numbers or two negative numbers, the result is always positive. And when we multiply a positive and a negative number, the result is always negative. Since we are squaring a number, it will always be multiplied by itself, resulting in a positive number.

4. Can the square of a number be zero?

Yes, the square of a number can be zero. This happens when we square the number 0, as 0 x 0 = 0. In fact, 0 is the only number whose square is equal to 0.

5. Why is it important to know that a square of a number is non-negative?

Knowing that a square of a number is non-negative is important in many mathematical concepts and applications. For example, in geometry, the area of a square is calculated by squaring the length of one of its sides. In statistics, the square of the difference between a data point and the mean is used to calculate the variance. Additionally, in physics, the square of velocity is used to calculate kinetic energy. Understanding that a square of a number is non-negative helps us accurately interpret and solve these types of problems.