Square Conducting Ring - Electrodynamics Question

In summary, the student is seeking help with a problem from a past electrodynamics practice exam. They are specifically struggling with the other parts of problem 5a and are working with special relativity and four-vector notation for current density. The expert asks for more specific information and the student's attempt at a solution in order to provide assistance.
QuantumJG

Homework Statement

Ok I'm going through last year's practice exam for electrodynamics and I'm stuck on a particular problem. For problem statement see attachment.

q5a part i is fine but I'm confused with the other parts.

Homework Equations

[tex]\Lambda_{\nu}^{\mu}=\left[\begin{array}{cccc}
\gamma & -\beta\gamma & 0 & 0\\
-\beta\gamma & \gamma & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1\end{array}\right],\: j^{\mu}=\left(c\rho,\mathbf{j}\right)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

?

Attachments

• exam.png
    exam.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 417
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

I understand that you are having trouble with the other parts of problem 5a. Can you provide more specific information about which parts you are struggling with? It would also be helpful to see your attempt at a solution so far. From the equations you have provided, it seems like you are working with special relativity and the four-vector notation for current density. Is there a particular concept or calculation that is giving you trouble? Let me know and I will do my best to assist you.

Related to Square Conducting Ring - Electrodynamics Question

1. What is a square conducting ring in electrodynamics?

A square conducting ring is a loop of conductive material, in the shape of a square, that is used to study electromagnetic phenomena in electrodynamics. It can be thought of as a simplified version of a solenoid or coil.

2. How does a square conducting ring behave in an electromagnetic field?

A square conducting ring behaves similarly to a solenoid or coil in an electromagnetic field. When an electric current is passed through the ring, it produces a magnetic field around it. Conversely, when a magnetic field is applied to the ring, it induces an electric current in the ring.

3. What are some practical applications of a square conducting ring in electrodynamics?

A square conducting ring can be used to study the principles of electromagnetic induction, such as in generators and transformers. It can also be used to demonstrate the effects of magnetic fields on conductive materials, which is important in the development of electric motors and other devices.

4. How does the shape of a square conducting ring affect its behavior in an electromagnetic field?

The shape of a square conducting ring affects its behavior in an electromagnetic field by influencing the strength and direction of the induced electric current. The corners of the square can also have an impact on the distribution of the magnetic field produced by the ring.

5. What are some limitations of using a square conducting ring in electrodynamics experiments?

One limitation of using a square conducting ring is that it may not accurately represent the behavior of more complex shapes, such as non-symmetrical or irregularly shaped conductors. Additionally, the size and material of the ring can also affect its behavior and may need to be carefully controlled in experiments.