Who does artwork, and in what media?

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
In summary: I also like Escher, who does more abstract work. And I am a big fan of the artist named "F.L.U.D.D." - his paintings are really cool!F.L.U.D.D. is a great artist!Originally posted by Moni F.L.U.D.D. is a great artist! What is your favorite artist?My favorite artist is definitely van Gogh. I also really like F.L.U.D.D. and Escher.Originally posted by rick1138
Originally posted by Evo My problem is that I have zero creativity, so I never considered myself an artist as much as a human xerox machine. My drawings look like photographs. I have always been able to draw exact duplicates of anything I see, but I can't invision things.
I don't see this as a problem. What it means is that you're both perceptive and balanced rather than a "crazy" artist.

It's odd, but after I would do a drawing, I could not believe that I did it. Does anyone else feel that way?
The hours of adding tiny parts one by one build up into a sudden realization of the whole that doesn't seem like something you could have deliberately accomplished, yes.
Shortly after I moved into this house, all of my artwork had been temporarily stored in the basement & it flooded, destroying all but a few pieces. That part of me died that day. I haven't returned to drawing since. Maybe some day.
Thankfully the stuff you sold all probably still exists in good shape and is well displayed for people to enjoy somewhere. I take pictures of all the stuff I think is worth keeping a record of. Then if anything happens the piece still exists in photographic form, at least. I've never had the kind of disaster you had but twice I had plaster sculptures submitted to competitions dropped and smashed by the set up people.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by zoobyshoe
The hours of adding tiny parts one by one build up into a sudden realization of the whole that doesn't seem like something you could have deliberately accomplished, yes.
No one has ever understood that, at least that I've spoken with. Perhaps the difference is that they already "saw" their picture before it became real.

Thankfully the stuff you sold all probably still exists in good shape and is well displayed for people to enjoy somewhere.[/B]
I think so, since it was of loved ones. I wish I had taken more pictures. I have moved so often following my ex from state to state as his career progressed, that much has been lost or thrown out.

twice I had plaster sculptures submitted to competitions dropped and smashed by the set up people. [/B]
That is horrible.

Zooby, is there anything you don't do? I have to admit that I was surprised to find that you also draw. And sculpt? Competitively?

My hairy, drooling enigma...what other secrets do you hold?

Originally posted by Evo That is horrible.
Not as bad as that. They were actually both fixable.
Zooby, is there anything you don't do? I have to admit that I was surprised to find that you also draw. And sculpt? Competitively?
I used to enter amateur competitions. Nothing professional. It's a hobby that I go back to for a couple/three months every year.

My handlers here at Area 51 would not be happy if I spilled certain beans.

Originally posted by Evo
Hey! hey! hey!, come on now, I stepped in and fixed that one! please, he is NOT drooling like that any more, it's just a little bit of "spittle" that's all...zoob (The Cat) wipe please

P.S. Do art too, watercolor, oil, drew in pencil, pen, colors, and charcoal too landscapes and scenery...no faces...(good reason too, personal)

Originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons P.S. Do art too, watercolor, oil, drew in pencil, pen, colors, and charcoal too landscapes and scenery...no faces...(good reason too, personal)
This is quite a revelation. I never would have suspected. I bet your stuff is fascinating. Which medium did/do you enjoy working in most?

Wow! there are many artists here!

I draw with pencil myself. I love awkward human positures, hands, middleage warriors, elves and magical figures, hands, eyes and face expressions. Love it, love it and I draw a lot!

My artwork is my music. I play violin and guitar (varied styles). :smile:

Originally posted by Thallium I love awkward human positures...
WHY? This is one of the reasons I can't stand Picasso: everyone looks so awkward and uncomfortable, in all the periods of his art. I don't see the point.

Originally posted by phatmonky
My artwork is my music. I play violin and guitar (varied styles). :smile:
Actually, at the time I started this thread there was a separate, simultaneous thread about music going on. Music is, of course, art.

Originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons
Hey! hey! hey!, come on now, I stepped in and fixed that one! please, he is NOT drooling like that any more, it's just a little bit of "spittle" that's all...zoob (The Cat) wipe please
Yes, and a very good job! I'm almost completely dry.

[P.S. Do art too, watercolor, oil, drew in pencil, pen, colors, and charcoal too landscapes and scenery...no faces...(good reason too, personal) [/B]
Mr Parsons, you never cease to amaze me. Any chance we might ever see some of your work?

Ahhh oil, and see it, humm given (most of?) it away...who knows maybe someday, just that, at present, I have little computer access to things like scanners, nevermind that the paintings (if there are any left) aren't here...

WHY? This is one of the reasons I can't stand Picasso: everyone looks so awkward and uncomfortable, in all the periods of his art. I don't see the point.

I did not mean like Picasso. I draw realistic human bodies like the ones of Michelangelo. When I say awkward positures I mean more like unusual positures, no frozen movements, but with a strange angle and very imaginative. Perhaps I could post one some time..

Originally posted by Thallium
When I say awkward positures I mean more like unusual positures, no frozen movements, but with a strange angle and very imaginative. Perhaps I could post one some time..
I would certainly be interested in seeing what you mean.

Ahhh oil, and see it, humm given (most of?) it away...who knows maybe someday, just that, at present, I have little computer access to things like scanners, nevermind that the paintings (if there are any left) aren't here...
A drawing pad protected by a proper plastic bag, pencils, a hand pencil sharpener, and you could, even in your present circumstances, produce more original Parsons' landscapes. Some angel would need to give a little financial boost; art pads aren't cheap.

Artsy friends and I used to gather and draw in public places with a lot of foot traffic. It was a surefire way to get attention. People would stop, start up conversations, and want to see everything you had in the pad.

In the winter you might do it there in the Library, if you had no objection to using photographic landscapes from books as models.

Just some ideas.

Zooby

For All The arts lover u have an interactive forum/post at

http://www.ratemyart.net/

It is a complete website where u can post ur art and also get rated for the same.

And In fact it is admin. by GREG

Last edited by a moderator:
(SNIP) A drawing pad protected by a proper plastic bag, pencils, a hand pencil sharpener, and you could, even in your present circumstances, produce more original Parsons' landscapes. Some angel would need to give a little financial boost; art pads aren't cheap. (SNoP)
Appreciate the sentiment, had done some, but they were watercolors, and that freezes, that and I am used ot doing things in private and that is something that I simply do not have any more privacy, not on the computers, not in mylife otherthen whenI spend time out at the tent all by myself with the 'no running water' etc. etc.

Aside from that OIL is what I love doing, if you know anyhting about painting and you saw what I was doing, in watercolor, you would see that very clearly...so..I still await the responce of My government as they owe me a responce
...apparently Canada is (still) run by people who don't respond to their citizens, even when they are required to by law...what a lovely country...NOT!

Last edited:
Appreciate the sentiment, had done some, but they were watercolors, and that freezes, that and I am used ot doing things in private and that is something that I simply do not have any more privacy, not on the computers, not in mylife otherthen whenI spend time out at the tent all by myself with the 'no running water' etc. etc.
Yes, I can appreciate the need for solitude in most artistic pursuits. I think most artists work best in privacy when it is possible.
Aside from that OIL is what I love doing, if you know anyhting about painting and you saw what I was doing, in watercolor, you would see that very clearly...
Oil is the monarch of media, I think. Unbelievable effects possible.

Still, it is expensive and space consuming to store. Some artists, most notably van Gogh, were able to achieve astonishingly colorful effects with the cheaper, easier medium of pencil, or pencil mixed with pen and ink, on common cardboard. I have a print of a van Gogh landscape in pencil and ink that astonishes me every time I look at it. It is equal to any of his paintings, I think.

Watched a show on television, recently, that had a group of students learning Carpentry, Craftsmanship Carpentry, Most telling aspect, to me, was the instructor telling the students to act as if "time didn't matter"...let's go paint...

Use to do (would still, just that...) photography as well, 400 photos on just one of the western trips I had taken last century, (but my average would have been bout 100 per trip x 5 trips = lots of pictures!) and some really nice shots of rather esoteric sites on the (Canadian) face of the planet.

Used a Cannon AE one time, an Automatic so you could adjust the F stop, but not the shutter speed...had a Minolta after that one, liked that one too, started on a Zenith, Russian made, sort of simple, and a bit 'boxy', but great for a starter 35 mm SLR camera waaaaay back then...but no more of that...least not now...

Oh Yes I suppose I could be producing now, watercolors or something, but I need new glasses, need to get my eyes re-tested, as it has been some time since the last time and my distance vision has changed, don't want to generate eyestrain...yadda-yadda-yadda...( <-- Look! He's complaining, WOW, what's going to happen next??, "tune into this station same *** time, Same *** channel"