Solving a Pool Leak: Calculating Inches Lost Per Hour

• Thread starter xowe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lost Per
In summary, the pool lost 2.25 inches over a period of 18 hours and 20 minutes while the pump was on, resulting in an average rate of 0.147 inches per hour. From 10:10am to 1:50pm, when the pump was off, the pool lost 7/8 inches over a period of 3 hours and 40 minutes, resulting in an average rate of 0.24 inches per hour. The total average rate of water loss over the entire time period is 0.142 inches per hour.
xowe
Hello, again. I have a question problem, fairly simple, that I have most likely done wrong. It is about a pool leak.

When the pools water pump is on, from 3:50pm to 10:10am the pool lost 2.25in.

When the pump was turned off from 10:10am, to 1:50pm, it lost 7/8 in. They want to know how many inches are lost every hour. Here's how I did it.

(When water to the pools pumpe is on, from 3:50pm to 10:10am the pool lost 2.25in.)
3:50-10:10= 7hr. 2.25 divided by 7 right? And the same with the other?...xowe

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It seems to me a lot easier than you make it.
First, from 3:50 pm to 10:10 am is NOT 7 hours: it is 18 hours and 20 minutes.

From 3:50pm to 10:10am the pump is on (Am I to assume that the pump is actually pumping water into the pool and not just recirculating it?- otherwise the pump is really irrelevant.) so there are two reasons for the level of water to change: change= I- O where "I" is the water pumped in (in "inches per hour") and O is the water flowing out because of the leak (also in "inches per hour")- you have
I- O= 2.25in/18.33 hrs= 0.147 in/hr. From 10:10 am to 1:50 pm, a period of 3 hours and 40 min (= 3.67 hrs) the pump was turned off so the only reason for the change in height, 7/8 in, is the leak itself:
O= (7/8 in)/(3.67 hr)= .24 in/hr.
"They want to know how many inches are lost every hour." I assume those two numbers are the answers you want.

Another possibility is that they want the average over the whole time period. To do that you would not that there was a total of
2.25+ 7/8= 2.25+ 0.875= 3.125 inches in a total of 22 hours. The average rate of drop is 3.125/22= 0.142 in/hour.

Hi there,

Yes, you are correct in your calculation. To find the inches lost per hour, you would divide the total inches lost (2.25) by the total number of hours (7), which gives you 0.32 inches lost per hour.

Similarly, for when the pump was turned off, you would divide the total inches lost (7/8 in) by the total number of hours (3.67), which gives you 0.24 inches lost per hour.

So, to summarize, the pool is losing approximately 0.32 inches per hour when the pump is on and 0.24 inches per hour when the pump is off. However, it is important to note that these are just estimates and the actual amount of water lost per hour may vary. I hope this helps!

1. How do I know if my pool is losing water?

To determine if your pool is losing water, you can conduct a simple bucket test. Fill a bucket with water and place it on the first or second step of your pool. Mark the water level on the inside of the bucket and on the pool's wall. Wait 24 hours and then compare the two water levels. If the pool's water level has dropped more than the bucket's, then you may have a leak.

2. How much water should my pool lose per day?

On average, a pool can lose up to 1/4 inch of water per day due to evaporation. However, if your pool is losing more than this amount, it could indicate a leak. Factors such as weather, pool size, and usage can also affect the rate of water loss.

3. How do I calculate inches lost per hour?

To calculate the inches lost per hour, you will need a tape measure and a stopwatch. Start by filling your pool to its normal level and mark it with a pencil. Next, turn off any automatic fillers or water features. After 24 hours, use the tape measure to measure the distance between the mark and the current water level. Divide this number by 24 to get the inches lost per hour.

4. How much water loss is considered normal for a pool?

As mentioned before, a pool can lose up to 1/4 inch of water per day due to evaporation. However, if your pool is losing more than this amount, it could indicate a leak. It is important to monitor and keep track of your pool's water level to determine what is normal for your specific pool.

5. What do I do if my pool is losing more water than normal?

If your pool is losing more water than normal, it is important to first conduct a bucket test to confirm if there is a leak. If a leak is confirmed, you should contact a professional pool technician to locate and repair the source of the leak. Ignoring a pool leak can lead to more serious and expensive damage in the future.