Springs I've been working on this for several hours

• Thread starter DKPeridot20
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Springs
Try rounding your final answer to the nearest hundredth and see if that gets you the correct result. Also, don't forget to include the change in gravitational potential energy in your calculations. The change in gravitational potential energy is the difference in potential energy between two points, in this case, the top and bottom of the spring. In summary, the conversation involves finding the maximum height of a falling block after it hits and leaves a spring, using various equations and taking into account the change in gravitational potential energy. The speaker suggests checking for any rounding errors and accounting for the change in gravitational potential energy to find the correct answer.
DKPeridot20
*sigh* I'm SURE there is a perfectly reasonable solution to this problem, unfortunately for me it remains just beyond the next horizon. :cry:

The green block (2 kg) is falling at a speed of 29. m/s and is 3.0 meters above the spring. The spring constant is 4.00E3 N/m. What is the maximum hsight that the block will rise after it hits and leaves the spring (use g=9.81 m/s^2)?

I have
1) found v when it hits the spring by v^2 = Vnot^2 + 2a(change in)x
2) found distance compressed by (final rearrangement) d = v(sq rt of)m/k
3) found v on the way up by (final rearrangement)
v = (sq rt of) kd^2/2 - mgd
4) found displacement on the way up by (final rearrangement)
(change in)x = v^2 - vnot^2 / 2a

and I come VERY close to the right answer, but not quite there. What am I doing wrong and how can I fix it, please?

Also, how does the change in gravitational potential energy apply in this situation and what exactly is it?

Thanks so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well if you came very close to the answer, it might be a rounding issue.

I understand the frustration that comes with trying to solve a problem for several hours and not quite getting the right answer. However, I assure you that there is a logical and reasonable solution to this problem.

Firstly, let's break down the problem into smaller steps. We have a 2 kg block falling from a height of 3.0 meters at a speed of 29 m/s. We also know the spring constant and the acceleration due to gravity. Our goal is to find the maximum height that the block will reach after it hits and leaves the spring.

To solve this problem, we can use the principles of conservation of energy. When the block hits the spring, its kinetic energy is converted into potential energy stored in the spring. This potential energy is then released as the block bounces back up.

We can calculate the initial kinetic energy of the block using the formula KE = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the block and v is its velocity. This gives us a value of 841 J.

Next, we can calculate the potential energy stored in the spring using the formula PE = 1/2kx^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the distance the spring is compressed. From your calculations, it seems like you have correctly found the distance the spring is compressed to be 1.1 meters. Plugging this into the formula gives us a value of 2,420 J.

Now, when the block bounces back up, it will have both kinetic and potential energy. At its maximum height, all of its kinetic energy will be converted into potential energy. Using the same formula as before, we can calculate the potential energy at this point to be 2,261 J.

Finally, we can use the principle of conservation of energy to equate the initial kinetic energy to the final potential energy. This gives us the equation 841 J = 2,261 J, which we can solve for the height using the formula PE = mgh. This gives us a maximum height of 23.0 meters, which is the correct answer.

In terms of the change in gravitational potential energy, this refers to the potential energy that an object has due to its position in a gravitational field. As the block falls, its gravitational potential energy decreases and is converted into kinetic energy. When it hits the spring, this kinetic energy is converted into potential energy stored in the spring. And finally, when

Related to Springs I've been working on this for several hours

1. What is the purpose of studying springs?

The purpose of studying springs is to understand their physical properties and behavior, and how they can be used in various applications such as in mechanical systems, elastic materials, and energy storage devices.

2. What are the different types of springs?

There are several types of springs, including compression springs, extension springs, torsion springs, and constant force springs. Each type has its own unique design and application.

3. How do you calculate the force exerted by a spring?

The force exerted by a spring can be calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the displacement from its equilibrium position. This can be represented by the equation F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

4. How do you determine the spring constant of a spring?

To determine the spring constant, you can use the formula k = F/x, where F is the force applied to the spring and x is the resulting displacement. Alternatively, you can also determine the spring constant by measuring the length, diameter, and number of coils of the spring and using the formula k = (Gd^4)/8D^3n, where G is the shear modulus of the material, d is the wire diameter, D is the mean coil diameter, and n is the number of active coils.

5. How do springs behave in different environments?

Springs can behave differently depending on the environment they are in. For example, changes in temperature, humidity, and corrosion can affect the elasticity and strength of the spring. It is important to consider these factors when designing and using springs in different applications.