Springs in a car (damped harmonic oscillator)

In summary, the problem involves a car with a total mass of 1250kg, including occupants, and four shock absorbers filled with oil and springs. The task is to determine the spring constant and viscosity of the oil, as well as the decrease in amplitude of the car's vertical oscillations. The first part can be solved by using the formula keff = (M+m)g/x, while the remaining parts require additional information to solve for the damping constant.
harr
This is a problem I've been trying to solve for quite some time now. Any help would be appreciated.

Homework Statement

When a person with the mass of 105kg sits in a car, the body of the car descends by 2,5cm in total. In the car there are four shock absorbers filled with oil and a spring around each of them. The mass of an empty car is 1250kg. When the car drives over a bump in the road, the body of the car starts oscillating vertically at the frequency of 0,85Hz.

a) Determine the spring constant of each spring
b) Determine the viscosity of the oil, when it is assumed that the viscosity is 1/10000 of the value of the damping constant b (-kx - bv = ma).
c) How much does the amplitude of the vibration of the car body decrease during one oscillation? Hint: Calculate the ratio of the amplitudes of two consecutive oscillations.

Homework Equations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_oscillator#Damped_harmonic_oscillator

The Attempt at a Solution

The first one I think I can solve
a)
m = (1250kg+105kg)/4 = 338,75kg
x = 2,5cm = 0,025m
g = 9,81m/s^2

k = F/x = mg/x = (338,75kg*9,81m/s^2)/0.025m = 132925,5N/m

However, after that no matter what I try, I'm not really getting anywhere. I always end up in a situation where I feel some information is missing when trying to solve for the damping constant.

Physics news on Phys.org
Define: M=unoccupied mass of car, m=mass of occupants.

If you want to use (M+m)g=keffx ... then x needs to be the total amount the springs are compressed from having no car on them. You don't have that figure.

for b and c I need to see what you are trying.

Related to Springs in a car (damped harmonic oscillator)

1. What is a damped harmonic oscillator in the context of a car's suspension?

A damped harmonic oscillator refers to the spring system in a car's suspension that helps absorb shocks and vibrations from the road. It consists of a spring and a damper (shock absorber) that work together to regulate the movement of the car's wheels and keep the car stable.

2. How does a spring in a car's suspension affect the ride quality?

The spring in a car's suspension plays a crucial role in providing a smooth and comfortable ride. It absorbs the impact of bumps and uneven road surfaces, preventing the car from bouncing or jolting too much. The stiffness of the spring also affects the handling and stability of the car.

3. What is the purpose of a shock absorber in a car's suspension?

A shock absorber, also known as a damper, is responsible for controlling the movement of the spring in a car's suspension. It helps dissipate the energy from the spring's compression and extension, preventing the car from bouncing excessively. This improves the overall handling and stability of the car.

4. How do you know if the springs in a car's suspension need to be replaced?

If you notice that your car is bouncing excessively or the ride has become rough and uncomfortable, it could be a sign that the springs in your car's suspension need to be replaced. Other signs include uneven tire wear, bottoming out when going over bumps, or the car pulling to one side.

5. Can the springs in a car's suspension be adjusted for different driving conditions?

Yes, the stiffness of the springs in a car's suspension can be adjusted to suit different driving conditions. This is usually done by adjusting the preload on the springs or by using adjustable coilovers. Stiffer springs are better for performance driving, while softer springs provide a more comfortable ride for everyday driving.