Spring with masses on either side - force constant and compression remain the same?

In summary, a spring with a force constant of 20 N/m is compressed by 0.100m and two blocks of 3kg and 5kg are placed on either side. When the rope holding the blocks in place is cut, the spring drives the blocks apart. To find the resulting speed of each block, the elastic energy of the spring is equated to the kinetic energy of the blocks. The velocities of the blocks will depend on whether they are fixed to the spring or not.
Hobbit300

Homework Statement

A spring is compressed by 0.100m from its equilibrium position, and two blocks of masses 3kg and 5kg are resting motionless on each side on a frictionless surface. The spring has a force constant of 20 N/m, and a rope holds the block in position against the compressed spring. If the rope is cut, the spring drives the blocks apart - find the resulting speed of each block.

Homework Equations

Ee (elastic energy) = 1/2kx^2
Ek(block 1 or 2) = 1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the elastic energy of the spring will be equal to the kinetic energy of the blocks as they move and am fine with solving Ee=Ek, and isolating for v.

However, my problem is that I'm not sure whether my Ee for each block is Ee/2 (would the energy be divided evenly between the blocks?), so basically - whether my force constant (k) should be divided by two (20/2)- and if whether the 0.100m compression should also be divided by two, since when the spring is released, I'm thinking the displacement should be equally divided on either side.

As far as the change in force constant, I've read that if a spring is cut in half, its k value is actually doubled - but I'm not sure if this situation can be likened to that in which the spring is cut in half. And I cannot figure out for sure whether compression should be divided in half or not. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org

There is no external force acting on the system of blocks and spring, therefore the CM stays in rest. This determines the ratio of the velocities. The masses are not equal, so neither the magnitude of displacements nor the speeds are the same. To cut the spring into half is senseless. The same force acts at both sides of the spring, on both boxes. ehild

there can be two cases::

1)boxes are fixed to spring:

in thjis case the system will do SHM on same position of centre of mass

2) boxes are not fixed to spring::

in this case both boxes will leave in diff directions but the centre of mass remains at same position and net momentum remains conserved

Equation1: (m1*v1) + (m2*v2) =0

equation 2: 1/2 (m1*v1^2) +1/2(m2*v2^2) =1/2(k*x^2)

2 equations and two variables solve it

Related to Spring with masses on either side - force constant and compression remain the same?

1. What is the force constant in a spring with masses on either side?

The force constant in a spring with masses on either side refers to the stiffness of the spring, which is determined by its material and physical properties. It is represented by the symbol k and is measured in units of Newtons per meter (N/m).

2. Does the force constant change if the masses on either side of the spring change?

No, the force constant remains the same regardless of the masses on either side of the spring. It is a property of the spring itself and is not affected by the masses attached to it.

3. What is the relationship between the force constant and the compression of the spring?

The force constant and the compression of the spring are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the compression of the spring increases, so does the force constant.

4. How does the force constant affect the spring's potential energy?

The force constant affects the spring's potential energy by determining the amount of energy required to compress or stretch the spring. A higher force constant means that more energy is needed to compress or stretch the spring, while a lower force constant requires less energy.

5. Can the force constant of a spring with masses on either side be changed?

The force constant of a spring with masses on either side cannot be changed unless the physical properties of the spring itself are altered. This can be done by changing the material or dimensions of the spring.