Spring scale- confusing me help

No.The 5 m/s² is the acceleration of the scale + stone (because the scale is holding them up). So what's the mass of the system? (Hint: It's the sum of the masses of the stone and the scale.)Once you know the mass and acceleration of the stone, you can find the net force on it. Then you can find the upward force on it. And that's the force that the scale must read. In summary, the key to solving these problems is to carefully analyze all the forces acting on the system and use Newton's laws of motion to determine the net force and acceleration. From there, you can find the force that the scale must read. Keep practicing
matthew77ask
Hi

firstly Thanks for the help...
I am not very good at forces ... and spring balances etc...

Q1 A 10N force is pulling up on the ring of spring scale that weighs 2N. If an 8N mass is attached to the bottom hook of the scale, what is the scale reading?

I figure that the mass of the spring is not relevant - hence the answer should be 10+8 = 18N. But the answer is 8N !

Hence I can't solve the next one also:
Similar as Q1 above but this time ithe force pulling up the ring of the spring scale is 5N instead...

I am really confuse about these. please help...

Physics news on Phys.org
matthew77ask said:
Q1 A 10N force is pulling up on the ring of spring scale that weighs 2N. If an 8N mass is attached to the bottom hook of the scale, what is the scale reading?

I figure that the mass of the spring is not relevant - hence the answer should be 10+8 = 18N. But the answer is 8N !
What the spring scale reads is the tension exerted by its bottom hook (where you hang things that you want to weigh). The first thing to do is to examine all the force on this system (scale + mass) to find out what it's doing. There's an upward force of 10N, and the downward forces of the weight of the scale (2N) plus the weight of the mass (8N). Those add up to zero, so you know the acceleration is zero. So... what force must the hook be exerting to support the hanging mass?

Hence I can't solve the next one also:
Similar as Q1 above but this time ithe force pulling up the ring of the spring scale is 5N instead...
This time the forces do not add to zero. Hint: Find the acceleration of the system. Then apply Newton's 2nd law to the hanging mass to find out what force the scale exerts on it.

The first bit is simpler than it sounds, matthew, maybe it's rather a trick question. Imagine you're holding up the scale, using a force of 2N because that's what it "weighs". Now you hang another 8N on the hook, and you're now exerting 8+2=10N. But the scale says 8N because that's what's on the hook.

Actually, the second bit is easier than it sounds too. I won't tell you the answer. But here's a clue: equal and opposite.

Ok, let me try

Q1 - there is an upward force of 10N. there are two downward forces - the spring 2N and the stone 8N. So Nett force is zero. Hence the spring reading is the reading of the stone which is 8N. am I right in my understanding?Q2. Upward force = 8N,
Downward force = 2N (mass spring) + 8N (stone)
Nett force 10-8N = 2 N downward
so the spring reading is 2N

Somehow, it doesn't feel right.
Please help me to correct...

cheers and thanks

matthew77ask said:
Q1 - there is an upward force of 10N. there are two downward forces - the spring 2N and the stone 8N. So Nett force is zero. Hence the spring reading is the reading of the stone which is 8N. am I right in my understanding?
Sounds good to me.

Q2. Upward force = 8N,
Downward force = 2N (mass spring) + 8N (stone)
Nett force 10-8N = 2 N downward
so the spring reading is 2N
The upward force is given as 5N, not 8N. The downward force--the weight of scale plus hanging mass--is the same. So what's the net force on the system? What's the acceleration of the system?

Use that to deduce the force that the scale must exert on the hanging mass. Which is also the force that the hanging mass exerts on the scale--via Newton's 3rd law. And that's the force that the scale will read.

Try this again:

Q2. Upward force = 5N, Mass spring = 2N, Mass stone = 8N

Downward force = 2N (mass spring) + 8N (stone) = 10N
Nett force 10-5N = 5 N downward
so the spring reading is 5N

Is this correct?

Thanks a lot.
Cheers!

matthew77ask said:
Net force 10-5N = 5 N downward
Correct.
so the spring reading is 5N
No.

Do exactly as I said. First find the acceleration of the system using Newton's 2nd law.

Hint: You know the weight of the scale and the hanging mass--but what are their masses?

Try...

weight of scale = 2N => mass = 0.2kg
weight of stone = 8N => mass = 0.8 kg
total mass = 1.0kg

now what...

a = F/m

which force do I use to find a?

5 N upwards pulling force ? a = 5 m/s2 upwards

or use nett force 5N down a= 5 m/s2 downswards

either way ... what do I do next?

thanks for defusing my confusion...

To find the acceleration of the scale + stone, use the net force acting on it. Once you have the acceleration, analyze the forces acting on the stone. (Hint: There are two forces acting on the stone.)

OK,

using the nett force 5N downwards , a = 5 m/s2 down.
the stone has an upward force of 5N and its own weight 8N down.
Nett force on stone is F = 8-5 = 3N down.

So the mass reaading on scale is F/a = 3/5 kg??

Am I getting anywhere ?

matthew77ask said:
using the nett force 5N downwards , a = 5 m/s2 down.
OK.
the stone has an upward force of 5N and its own weight 8N down.
No. The 5N force is the upward force on the scale, not on the stone. The upward force on the stone is what you are trying to figure out. But, yes, the downward force on the stone is its weight, 8N.

Since you know the stone's mass and acceleration, what must be the net force on it?

Mass of stone = 0.8kg,
Force Nett = 5 m/s2 down.
So the reading on the scale = F = ma = 0.8 x 5 = 4 N.

Am I right?Cheers!

matthew77ask said:
Mass of stone = 0.8kg,
Force Nett = 5 m/s2 down.
So the reading on the scale = F = ma = 0.8 x 5 = 4 N.
The acceleration of the stone is 5 m/s^2 down. Thus the net force on the stone is F_{net} = ma = 0.8 x 5 = 4 N.

The scale doesn't read the net force, it reads the force that it exerts on the stone. Let's figure it out.

What forces act on the stone? There are two:

(1) The scale force acting upward, which is what we are trying to find. Let's call that F_s.

(2) The weight acting downward, call it F_w, which equals 8 N.

Calling up to be positive, what's the net force in terms of these two forces? F_{net} = F_s - F_w

But we already calculated F_{net} above to be -4 N.

You do the last step: plug in the values and solve for F_s.

Thanks. Trying...Force on hook of scale = 5N up
Weight of scale = 2 N down ===> mass of scale = 0.2kg
Weight of stone = 8N down ====> mass of stone = 0.8kg
Force nett of above = 10N-5N = 5 N down.

Mass of scale and stone = 1 kg
Hence Nett acceleration of system = F/m = 5 m/s2 down.
Hence Force nett on stone F(nett) = ma = 0.8kg x 5 m/s2 = 4N down.

If up is +ve, then

F(net) = -4 N
F (on weight if stone) = - 8N (given)

Forces On stone:

F(nett) = F (scale pulling stone up) - F (force on stone mass)
-4 = F (scale) - (-8)
F (scale) = -4 - 8 = -12 N.
Hence reading from scale = -12N

How am I doing now ?

matthew77ask said:
Force on hook of scale = 5N up
Weight of scale = 2 N down ===> mass of scale = 0.2kg
Weight of stone = 8N down ====> mass of stone = 0.8kg
Force nett of above = 10N-5N = 5 N down.

Mass of scale and stone = 1 kg
Hence Nett acceleration of system = F/m = 5 m/s2 down.
Hence Force nett on stone F(nett) = ma = 0.8kg x 5 m/s2 = 4N down.
All good.

If up is +ve, then

F(net) = -4 N
F (on weight if stone) = - 8N (given)
Good.

Forces On stone:

F(nett) = F (scale pulling stone up) - F (force on stone mass)
-4 = F (scale) - (-8)
F (scale) = -4 - 8 = -12 N.
Hence reading from scale = -12N
Almost.
F(net) = F (scale; up) + F (weight; down)
-4 = F (scale) + (-8) = F (scale) - 8

Almost there. :wink:

Doc Al said:
All good.

Almost.
F(net) = F (scale; up) + F (weight; down)
-4 = F (scale) + (-8) = F (scale) - 8

F(scale) = 8-4 =4N

But earlier it was
F(net) = F(scale; up) - F(weight; down)

why "-" is changed to "+" now?

thanks.

PS: can u post a similar Q so that I can test if I really understand this...

Cheers!:rolleyes:

matthew77ask said:
F(scale) = 8-4 =4N

But earlier it was
F(net) = F(scale; up) - F(weight; down)

why "-" is changed to "+" now?
Nothing has changed. The net force is always the sum of all forces acting on an object. Forces that act upwards are positive; those that act downward (like weight) are negative. (Assuming a sign convention that uses positive to indicate "up", of course.)

Related to Spring scale- confusing me help

1. What is a spring scale and how does it work?

A spring scale is a simple device used to measure the weight or force of an object. It consists of a spring attached to a hook at one end and a pointer at the other. When an object is hung from the hook, the spring stretches and the pointer moves along a scale, indicating the weight or force applied.

2. How accurate is a spring scale?

The accuracy of a spring scale depends on the quality and calibration of the spring. Most spring scales have a margin of error of around 1-2%, which is suitable for general weighing purposes. However, for more precise measurements, a digital scale may be a better option.

3. Can a spring scale be used to measure mass?

No, a spring scale measures weight, not mass. Weight is a measurement of the force of gravity acting on an object, while mass is a measurement of the amount of matter in an object. In order to measure mass, a balance scale or electronic scale is needed.

4. What are some common uses of a spring scale?

Spring scales have a variety of uses in scientific experiments, industries, and everyday life. They are commonly used to weigh ingredients in cooking and baking, as well as to measure the weight of small objects such as jewelry or letters. They are also used in physics experiments to demonstrate the concept of force and as a tool for measuring forces in engineering applications.

5. How do I calibrate a spring scale?

In order to calibrate a spring scale, you will need to compare it to a known weight. This can be done by placing a known weight on the scale and adjusting the pointer to match the weight. If the scale does not have an adjustable pointer, you can also use a conversion chart to determine the weight based on the position of the pointer on the scale. It is important to repeat this process regularly to ensure the accuracy of the scale.