How Do Friction and Spring Constants Affect Block Velocities?

In summary, the problem involves finding the maximum velocities of two blocks, with different masses, after being released from a compressed spring. The coefficient of kinetic friction between each block and the surface is given and the coefficient of static friction is assumed greater. The approach involves using conservation of momentum and energy, and considering the static friction to see if the blocks will move. In the frictionless case, the equation .5kx2=.5m1v12+.5m2v22 can be used, while in the case with friction, the work-energy theorem can be applied.
chahud42

Homework Statement

A light spring of force constant 3.90 N/m is compressed by 8.00 cm and held between a 0.250 kg block on the left and a 0.530 kg block on the right. Both blocks are at rest on a horizontal surface. The blocks are released simultaneously so that the spring tends to push them apart. Find the maximum velocity each block attains if the coefficient of kinetic friction between each block and the surface is the following. In each case, assume that the coefficient of static friction is greater than the coefficient of kinetic friction. Let the positive direction point to the right.

We have to find the final velocities of both masses for μk values of .000, .100, and .483.

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum, Newtons second law, conservation of energy

The Attempt at a Solution

Initially, the blocks are at rest and the spring is compressed. So the initial momentum of the system is 0, but there is a force in the spring which is equal to F=kx=(3.9Nm)(.08m)=.312N
So, once the spring is released, it pushes on each block with this force. The momentum of each block is increased to P1=m1v1 and P2=m2v2. We can't go much further with this because the only 2 unknowns with using conservation of momentum are the velocities, which is what we need.

So I started to look at F=kx=ma. I can use kx/m=a to solve for the accelerations of the blocks caused by the spring. I got that a1=1.25m/s2 and a2=.59m/s2. Then I wanted to use this in the formula v2=vo2+2aΔx to solve for the velocity. For the velocity of block one i got v=.45m/s. This was wrong so I didn't even bother to go further because something in my solution is wrong. None of my classmates or I can solve this. Where did we go wrong?

One thought I had was that the force exerted on each block won't be equal to kx, but kx/2 because the force is shared over two separate masses. But I tried this and this didn't work either. I'm fresh out of ideas.

Physics news on Phys.org
chahud42 said:
the formula v2=vo2+2aΔx
That is only for constant acceleration.
For the zero friction case you could use conservation laws. For the others you might need to develop the differential equation, but start by considering static friction. You are told this is at least as great as the kinetic. Draw the FBD for each block.
chahud42 said:
We have to find the final velocities of both masses
No, you are asked for the maximum velocities. When the kinetic friction is nonzero the "final" velocities will all be zero.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
For the zero friction case you could use conservation laws. For the others you might need to develop the differential equation, but start by considering static friction. You are told this is at least as great as the kinetic. Draw the FBD for each block.

No, you are asked for the maximum velocities. When the kinetic friction is nonzero the "final" velocities will all be zero.
Right that's what I meant by saying final velocity since its at the maximum right before it loses contact with the spring. I'm still stuck on it. I get I can't use the constant acceleration case, but does that mean what I was doing before I plugged my numbers into that equation, what I had was right?

haruspex said:

Actually, I was just thinking, if the energy is conserved here (which I do believe it is) would it be possible to use the equation .5kx2=.5mv2? By using this you could solve for v and substitute that back in the conservation momentum equation right? My only problem is I don't understand which block has that velocity, or is it both?

chahud42 said:
if the energy is conserved here
Only in the frictionless case.
chahud42 said:
which block has that velocity
They may have different velocities, so consider the total KE.

haruspex said:
Only in the frictionless case.

They may have different velocities, so consider the total KE.
Ok so it would be more like .5kx2=.5m1v12+.5m2v22? In the case with friction would you have to use the work energy theorem: ΔKE=Wspring(This I'm not sure about but I know that the spring is doing work on this blocks and the friction is taking away work) -Wf? If I use this, I wouldn't know how to incorporate the elastic potential energy from the spring because it only deals with a change in the kinetic energy. I feel like I have most of it but I'm missing important points. I get you're trying to lead me to the answer but I'm going to need a bit more. Assignment was already turned in anyway, I just still want to solve this.

chahud42 said:
Ok so it would be more like .5kx2=.5m1v12+.5m2v22?
Yes.
chahud42 said:
In the case with friction
In the case with friction, remember that initially everything is stationary. So what is the first thing to check?

haruspex said:
Yes.

In the case with friction, remember that initially everything is stationary. So what is the first thing to check?
haruspex said:
Yes.

haruspex said:
Yes.

You have to check if the force of the spring overcomes the force of static friction first to see if it moves. So you have to analyze Fs=-kx and compare it to N=μmg for each block. If kx is bigger than μmg, then that means that the block will be accelerated. Once you do that though, I don't understand how to solve for the two separate velocities from .5kx2=.5m1v12+.5m2v22. Could you deal with each block separately by saying .5kx2=.5m1v12 and .5kx2=.5m2v22. Does the spring exert the same force on each block or is the force shared between the two blocks?

chahud42 said:
You have to check if the force of the spring overcomes the force of static friction first to see if it moves.
Right.
chahud42 said:
Once you do that though, I don't understand how to solve for the two separate velocities from .5kx2=.5m1v12+.5m2v22.
You can only use that in the no friction case. How about you solve the frictionless case first, then we can turn to the frictional case?

haruspex said:
Right.

You can only use that in the no friction case. How about you solve the frictionless case first, then we can turn to the frictional case?
Conservation of momentum killed me in high school and now in college o:)
Ok to solve it without friction, you can use .5kx2=.5m1v12+.5m2v22 since energy is conserved, and 0=m1v1+m2v2 since momentum is also conserved. Solving for v1 using momentum i get v1=-m2v2/m1. Substitute this expression for v1 in the equation for conservation of energy and you get
gif.latex?.5kx%5E2%3D.gif
. Solve for v2 so that
gif.gif
. Plug in, get v2, then plug all of those numbers in the original conservation of momentum equation and solve for v1. Look right? I don't feel like bothering with numbers right now.

Attachments

• gif.latex?.5kx%5E2%3D.gif
    gif.latex?.5kx%5E2%3D.gif
    731 bytes · Views: 369
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    468 bytes · Views: 341
chahud42 said:
Look right?
No, your algebra went awry when you substituted for v1. The result was dimensionally wrong.
Take it in smaller steps.

haruspex said:
No, your algebra went awry when you substituted for v1. The result was dimensionally wrong.
Take it in smaller steps.
Damn i can't even believe I left out a whole half of the equation. I swear I'm not usually this bad I should be writing it out. Its also Friday and i want to finish this problem I've been doing for 2 days hah. So REsubstituting (much slower now) v1, i got
.latex?.5m_%7B1%7D%28%5Cfrac%7B-m_%7B2%7Dv_%7B2%7D%7D%7Bm_%7B1%7D%7D%29%5E2+.5m_2v_2%5E2%3D.gif

gif.gif

gif.gif

gif.gif

gif.gif

gif.gif

The algebra here seemed to get a bit tricky to keep control of but I double checked it, I think that's right.

Attachments

• .latex?.5m_%7B1%7D%28%5Cfrac%7B-m_%7B2%7Dv_%7B2%7D%7D%7Bm_%7B1%7D%7D%29%5E2+.5m_2v_2%5E2%3D.gif
    .latex?.5m_%7B1%7D%28%5Cfrac%7B-m_%7B2%7Dv_%7B2%7D%7D%7Bm_%7B1%7D%7D%29%5E2+.5m_2v_2%5E2%3D.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 309
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 340
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    969 bytes · Views: 358
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    959 bytes · Views: 352
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    781 bytes · Views: 350
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    981 bytes · Views: 339
chahud42 said:
I think that's right.
So do I.

haruspex said:
So do I.
Great. Could you push me in the right direction for the cases with friction? Solving energy and momentum problems with friction is a pain because the force is non conservative. Is it possible to start with the same equation and account for friction doing negative work on each block?.5kx2=.5m1v121N1d+.5m2v222N2d

chahud42 said:
Great. Could you push me in the right direction for the cases with friction? Solving energy and momentum problems with friction is a pain because the force is non conservative. Is it possible to start with the same equation and account for friction doing negative work on each block?.5kx2=.5m1v121N1d+.5m2v222N2d
You seem to have forgotten what you posted earlier:
chahud42 said:
You have to check if the force of the spring overcomes the force of static friction first to see if it moves.
Do that for both blocks in each of the nonzero friction cases.

haruspex said:
You seem to have forgotten what you posted earlier:

Do that for both blocks in each of the nonzero friction cases.
Well in the problem they didn't define a μs value for any parts. You can't just compare it with μk because that's lower than μs. I mean, it can tell you if the force can't overcome the kinetic friction, but it has to get past static first.

chahud42 said:
Well in the problem they didn't define a μs value for any parts. You can't just compare it with μk because that's lower than μs. I mean, it can tell you if the force can't overcome the kinetic friction, but it has to get past static first.
Right, but remember
chahud42 said:
assume that the coefficient of static friction is greater than the coefficient of kinetic friction.
Does that resolve some cases at least?

1. How does spring pushing affect the movement of 2 blocks?

When a spring pushes against 2 blocks, it exerts a force on both blocks that is equal in magnitude and direction. This causes both blocks to move in the same direction with the same velocity. However, the block with the greater mass will experience a smaller acceleration compared to the block with less mass.

2. What factors affect the distance the blocks will move when pushed by a spring?

The distance the blocks will move when pushed by a spring is affected by the force applied by the spring, the mass of the blocks, and the spring constant. A higher force, lower mass, and higher spring constant will result in a greater distance moved by the blocks.

3. Can the direction of the spring's force affect the movement of the blocks?

Yes, the direction of the spring's force can affect the movement of the blocks. If the spring is compressed or stretched in a different direction, the blocks will move in that direction instead of moving in the same direction as the spring's force.

4. How does the surface the blocks are on affect the spring pushing?

The surface the blocks are on can affect the spring pushing in several ways. A surface with more friction will require a greater force from the spring to move the blocks. Additionally, the surface can affect the speed and distance of the blocks' movement due to differences in friction and resistance.

5. What is the relationship between the spring constant and the force applied by the spring?

The spring constant, represented by the letter "k", is a measure of the stiffness of the spring. The greater the spring constant, the greater the force applied by the spring for the same amount of displacement. This relationship is described by Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.