Spring Problem with Possible Conservation of Energy Concept ?

In summary: If they don't give you a mass then you'll have to solve for the spring constant k in terms of the mass m.Got it, thanks for everyone's help. I understand the concepts so I should be good to go now.
SChiO

Homework Statement

A block slides from rest down a frictionless ramp which is 4 m long and has a 30 degree angle with respect to the ground. After reaching the bottom of the ramp it slides on a frictionless surface and compresses a spring a distance of 12cm (.12m) before coming to rest momentarily.

a) What is the speed of the block before striking the spring?
b) What is the spring constant?

The Attempt at a Solution

I wanted to see if I was on the right track...my logic is to use conservation of energy. Setting my initial condition as the block sliding down the ramp and my final condition when it comes to rest after compressing the spring...So the sum of my initial energy would by equal to the kinetic energy and the sum of my final energy is equal to the potential energy --> 1/2mv2 = mgh

Solving for v you get v = √(2gh)...I was thinking the "h" is the height of the ramp which can be found using the angle...I got 2m for that. So using 9.8 m/s2 for g and plugging the rest into my equation I got a velocity of 6.2 m/s

To find the spring constant I figured you could use F = -kx and solve for F. With a free body diagram the only force acting on the block is gravity but without a mass, I don't know how to find the quantity of that force...

Please help with part b! And does the work for part a seem correct?? Really appreciate it, I have my final tomorrow and want to be sure I can do these problems correctly!

Physics news on Phys.org
SChiO said:

Homework Statement

To find the spring constant I figured you could use F = -kx and solve for F. With a free body diagram the only force acting on the block is gravity but without a mass, I don't know how to find the quantity of that force...

Please help with part b! And does the work for part a seem correct?? Really appreciate it, I have my final tomorrow and want to be sure I can do these problems correctly!

Part a good, paret b bad.
Use energy conservation here too. The spring is compressed, the kinetic energy is changed to spring potential energy.

rude man said:
Part a good, paret b bad.
Use energy conservation here too. The spring is compressed, the kinetic energy is changed to spring potential energy.

Ok, won't I still need a mass??
1/2mv2 = 1/2kx2

Or did I set that up wrong..

SChiO said:
Ok, won't I still need a mass??
1/2mv2 = 1/2kx2

Or did I set that up wrong..

I believe you're right! You need m for part b.

rude man said:
I believe you're right! You need m for part b.

Ok. I'll keep thinking about it. I'm going to see if maybe I need to work in the work-energy theory...maybe I need two equations that can substitute into each other to solve for k

no but on compression of the spring another 12cm X cos(angle) has been traveled by the block so you need to put in another energy conservation

I'm still not getting it :( Any other hints anyone can give?

SChiO said:
I'm still not getting it :( Any other hints anyone can give?

If they don't give you a mass then you'll have to solve for the spring constant k in terms of the mass m.

Got it, thanks for everyone's help. I understand the concepts so I should be good

Related to Spring Problem with Possible Conservation of Energy Concept ?

1. What is the spring problem with possible conservation of energy concept?

The spring problem with possible conservation of energy concept is a physics problem that involves a spring and a mass attached to it. The question usually asks for the maximum displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position, taking into account the concept of conservation of energy.

2. How do you solve a spring problem with possible conservation of energy concept?

To solve a spring problem with possible conservation of energy concept, you need to use the equation for potential energy stored in a spring (PE = 1/2kx^2) and equate it to the kinetic energy of the mass (KE = 1/2mv^2). You can then use algebraic manipulation to solve for the maximum displacement (x) or velocity (v) of the mass.

3. What is the role of conservation of energy in spring problems?

Conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. In spring problems, conservation of energy is used to relate the potential energy stored in the spring to the kinetic energy of the mass attached to it.

4. Are there any assumptions made in solving spring problems with possible conservation of energy concept?

Yes, there are a few assumptions made when solving spring problems with possible conservation of energy concept. These include assuming that there is no friction or air resistance, the spring is massless, and the surface is frictionless. These assumptions allow for a simpler and more accurate calculation of the maximum displacement or velocity of the mass.

5. Can conservation of energy be applied to all types of spring problems?

Yes, conservation of energy can be applied to all types of spring problems as long as the assumptions mentioned above are met. However, for more complex spring systems, other concepts such as Hooke's Law and energy dissipation may need to be considered in addition to conservation of energy.