Spring potential Problem Reference Point

In summary, there is a discrepancy in the given problem that may affect the answer. The initial and final states may differ due to the spring being stretched. The correct way to formulate this problem is to consider the new equilibrium point as 20 cm above the ground rather than the spring being unstretched. Additionally, the given information does not specify whether the system is in equilibrium or not.
yolo123
Hi, I uploaded the problem and the solution's manual answer.
There is something wrong in it I think.

For this problem:
"A 20.0-kg block is connected to a 30.0-kg block by a string that passes over a light frictionless pulley. The 30.0-kg block is connected to a spring that has negligible mass and a force constant of 250 N/m, as shown. The spring is unstretched when the system is as shown in the figure, and the incline is frictionless. The 20.0-kg block is pulled 20.0 cm down the incline (so that the 30.0-kg block is 40.0 cm above the floor) and released from rest.
Find the speed of each block when the 30.0-kg block is 20.0 cm above the floor (that is, when the spring is unstretched)."

I think that the part in bold is wrong. The 30 kg mass is heavier than the 20 kg mass, so the pulley will spin clockwise, thereby compressing the spring and giving it a new equilibrium point. Would this change the answer to the problem? The initial and final states will differ because of the spring being stretched.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-27 at 3.03.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-27 at 3.03.08 PM.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 514
  • Screen Shot 2014-04-27 at 3.02.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-27 at 3.02.55 PM.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 572
Physics news on Phys.org
yolo123 said:
I think that the part in bold is wrong. The 30 kg mass is heavier than the 20 kg mass, so the pulley will spin clockwise, thereby compressing the spring and giving it a new equilibrium point. Would this change the answer to the problem? The initial and final states will differ because of the spring being stretched.
Why would the equilibrium position of the system matter?

If I set up the equation using the "new" equilibrium point:
Let h be the height difference between the 20cm from ground and the "true?" equilibrium point.

30(h+20)g+1/2(k)(h+20)^2=20(9.8)sin(40)(0.2)+1/2(20)v^2+1/2(30)v^2+1/2(250)h^2

This is different than what it is on the solution's manual.

So, let me get this straight.
You're trying to tell me that:
If I have a spring with a mass oscillating vertically with an amplitude of 10 cm (20 cm max displacement).

If I set my x=0(eq. point) to the lowest point that the mass goes, and I calculate the energy at the highest point:
I get 1/2k(20)^2+mg20

If I set my x=0 to 1 cm above lowest point:
I get 1/2k(19)^2+mg(19)

Now, I can accurately say that 1/2k(19)^2+mg(19)=1/2k(20)^2+mg20?

yolo123 said:
If I set up the equation using the "new" equilibrium point:
Let h be the height difference between the 20cm from ground and the "true?" equilibrium point.

30(h+20)g+1/2(k)(h+20)^2=20(9.8)sin(40)(0.2)+1/2(20)v^2+1/2(30)v^2+1/2(250)h^2

This is different than what it is on the solution's manual.
What matters is the energy change once the spring is released, which depends on the amount of stretch, not the displacement from some new equilibrium point.

The book's answer is correct.

yolo123 said:
So, let me get this straight.
You're trying to tell me that:
If I have a spring with a mass oscillating vertically with an amplitude of 10 cm (20 cm max displacement).
Who says that the mass is oscillating with an amplitude of 10 cm?

Forget about any oscillation (that would be another problem). You stretch the spring and let it go. When the spring is back to its original unstretched length, what's the speed of the masses? That's the problem.

To find the energy in the spring you measure the amount of stretch from its unstretched length.

But the amount of energy change changes because you're using a quadratic equation, no?

yolo123 said:
But the amount of energy change changes because you're using a quadratic equation, no?
I don't know what you mean by that.

If you look at this graph:
The amount of kinetic energy change is not equal from similar displacements.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-27 at 3.56.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-27 at 3.56.04 PM.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 476
Ok I think I got this.

If I look at the change in energy for the spring with mass on from the EQUILIBRIUM POINT to x m of displacement from EQUILIBRIUM POINT.

If I look at a spring without the mass on and consider the new EQUILIBRIUM POINT, and consider x m of displacement from the new EQUILIBRIUM POINT, I will get the same energy change as the first case.Please confirm. I know I may be "slow".

yolo123 said:
Ok I think I got this.

If I look at the change in energy for the spring with mass on from the EQUILIBRIUM POINT to x m of displacement from EQUILIBRIUM POINT.

If I look at a spring without the mass on and consider the new EQUILIBRIUM POINT, and consider x m of displacement from the new EQUILIBRIUM POINT, I will get the same energy change as the first case.
I'll put it this way. Say the new equilibrium point is a distance h below the unstretched position. When the spring is brought to the point where it is released, a distance of .2+h above equilibrium, what is the stored spring potential energy? Still only 1/2k(.2)^2.

Is this not misleading: "The spring is unstretched when the system is as shown in the figure"?

How could you consider it unstretched if there is a mass on it? The appropriate way to formulate it would be the new equilibrium point is 20 cm above ground. Do you agree?

If the spring is trully unstretched, the figure makes no sense because that would mean there is a force already pulling on the 20kg mass. Do you agree?

yolo123 said:
Is this not misleading: "The spring is unstretched when the system is as shown in the figure"?
No, it seems clear to me. It's a statement about the spring. (Make no assumptions about how the system got to such a position or whether the masses are moving or not.)

How could you consider it unstretched if there is a mass on it? The appropriate way to formulate it would be the new equilibrium point is 20 cm above ground. Do you agree?
No. You are assuming that the configuration shown is one where the masses are in equilibrium. It's not.

yolo123 said:
If the spring is trully unstretched, the figure makes no sense because that would mean there is a force already pulling on the 20kg mass. Do you agree?
Again, do not assume that the system shown is in equilibrium. (If it were, then you'd be right--an additional force must be supporting the mass.)

Related to Spring potential Problem Reference Point

1. What is the "Spring potential Problem Reference Point"?

The "Spring potential Problem Reference Point" is a term used in physics to describe the location at which the potential energy of a spring is zero. This point is typically referred to as the equilibrium position, where the spring is neither compressed nor stretched.

2. How is the "Spring potential Problem Reference Point" calculated?

The "Spring potential Problem Reference Point" can be calculated using the formula x = -k/F, where x is the displacement from the equilibrium position, k is the spring constant, and F is the force applied to the spring. This formula is derived from Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement from equilibrium.

3. Why is the "Spring potential Problem Reference Point" important?

The "Spring potential Problem Reference Point" is important because it allows us to understand and calculate the potential energy stored in a spring. This energy can be converted into kinetic energy when the spring is released, making it a crucial concept in studying the behavior of springs in various systems.

4. Can the "Spring potential Problem Reference Point" change?

Yes, the "Spring potential Problem Reference Point" can change if the spring constant or the applied force changes. For example, if a heavier object is attached to the spring, the equilibrium position will shift downward due to the increased force, resulting in a new reference point and potential energy for the spring.

5. How does the "Spring potential Problem Reference Point" relate to the motion of a spring?

The "Spring potential Problem Reference Point" is directly related to the motion of a spring. When a spring is compressed or stretched from its equilibrium position, it has potential energy stored in it. As the spring moves towards its equilibrium position, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the spring to oscillate back and forth around the reference point.