Spring oscillation with friction

In summary, the conversation was about a system consisting of a spring with spring constant K, a mass m, a wall, and a table with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 1/8. The initial compression of the spring was determined using the equation mgh= (1/2)kh^2, and the question of how much the maximal stretch or compression of the spring decreases after each half oscillation was raised. The number of times the mass oscillates back and forth before coming to rest was also discussed.
mmht579
I think I'm getting really confused by sign changes... can someone help me with this?

Spring with spring constat K stands vertically, and mass m is placed on top. Mass is gradually lowered to its euqilirium position. With the spring held at this compression length, the system is rotated to horizontal position. Left end of the spring is attached to a wall, and the mass is placed on a table with coefficient of kinetic friction=1/8. The mass is released.

(a) What is the initial compression of the spring?
(b) How much does the maximal stretch or compression of the spring decrease after each half oscillation?
(c) How many times does the mass osciallate back and forth before coming to rest?

(a)mgh= (1/2)kh^2
h= 2mg/k

(b) this is where I am not sure with signs...

conservation of energy:
spring potential energy initial= work friction +spring potential energy
.5k(2mg/k)^2= mg( (2mg/k) + x)/8 + .5kx^2 (?)
i get x= (sq rt.97 -1)mg/(8k)

that seems wrong...

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
(a) You are asked for the EQUILIBRIUM position, not the position in which all gravitational energy has been converted into spring potential energy!
That is, the equilibrium position of the system is where the sum of all (vertical) forces acting on the mass is 0.
See how this helps you along..

oops.. i forgot that i posted...thanks for the help though!

Related to Spring oscillation with friction

1. What is spring oscillation with friction?

Spring oscillation with friction is a phenomenon that occurs when a spring is stretched or compressed and then released, causing it to vibrate back and forth around its equilibrium position. The presence of friction in this system results in the gradual decrease of the amplitude of the oscillations over time.

2. How does friction affect spring oscillation?

Friction in a spring oscillation system causes the amplitude of the oscillations to decrease over time. This is because the frictional force acts in the opposite direction of the motion of the spring, dissipating energy and causing the oscillations to gradually slow down.

3. What factors affect the rate of decrease in amplitude due to friction?

The rate of decrease in amplitude due to friction depends on several factors, including the magnitude of the frictional force, the mass of the object attached to the spring, and the stiffness of the spring. Generally, a higher frictional force or a heavier mass will result in a faster decrease in amplitude.

4. Can the effects of friction be eliminated in spring oscillation?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate the effects of friction in a spring oscillation system. However, the effects can be minimized by using materials with low friction coefficients or by lubricating the contact points between the spring and the attached object.

5. How is the period of spring oscillation affected by friction?

The presence of friction does not affect the period of spring oscillation, which is the time it takes for one complete cycle of oscillation. The period is primarily determined by the mass and stiffness of the spring and is not affected by external factors such as friction.