Spring-mass system with nearest neighbor couplings

In summary, the problem involves a system of blocks connected by springs along the x-axis, with different spring constants k1 and k2. The equilibrium position is determined by the total length of the system, which is dependent on the ratio of k1 to k2. The individual forces on each block are not necessary to find, only their displacements.
sapiental
Hello,

This problem refers particulary to the model in my attachment.

The blocks are free to move but only along the x-axis. The springs connecting adjacent blocks have spring constant k1, while the two outer springs have stiffness k2. All the springs have a rest lengt of one. Write the matrix equation for the equilibrium position of the blocks and plot the total length of the system as a function of k1/k2

The model of the problem is throwing me off here because I am used to spring systems being fixed to a wall at one end and having something else attached to it on the other end. The way I'm approaching the problem is by finding out the individual force on each block.. F1 + F2 + F3 + F4. However, I keep getting stuck in a loop by trying to focus on an individual block because each block seems dependent on the other ones at all times.

I also can't picture the equation f(k1/k2) at all in my head.

I know it's not much but this is what I have so far.

Springs in a parallel
kp = k1+k2
Springs in a series
1/ks = 1/k1 + 1/k2

The length of the system should be related to the equilibrium length when all springs are at rest.

so:

L_equilibrium = L_1e + L_2e + L_3e

(these are the equilibrium distances between each block)

I'm guessing that the force on each end is something like:

F = -k_springtotal(L_system - L_equilibrium)I would really appreciate it if someone could give me a push start with this problem. I mainly want to understand what force the individual blocks are experiencing if displaced. Also, I don't really understand the question that well either to be completely honest. Particulary the part about finding the length based on the ratio of constants? How do I get the individual forces on each block if I'm not given specific constants for k1 and k2?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• spring.JPG
    spring.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 516
Physics news on Phys.org
Number the masses 1 2 3 4 from left to right and call the positions x1 x2 x3 x4

For the top spring, the length is x4-x2, the extension is x4-x2-1, and the forces are -k2(x4-x2-1) applied to block 4 and +k2(x4-x2-1) applied to block 2.

The total force on eack block is the just the sum of the forces from all the springs connected to it. That will be an expression of the form a1 x1 + a2 x2 + a3 x3 + a4 x4 + c, and it equals 0 since the system is in equilibrium.

You are not asked to find the individual forces, only the displacements. Obviously the forces depend on the values of k1 and k2 but the displacements will only depend on the ratio k1/k2.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and questions on this spring-mass system with nearest neighbor couplings.

To start, let's define the variables:

- m = mass of each block
- k1 = spring constant for the springs connecting adjacent blocks
- k2 = spring constant for the outer springs
- x1, x2, x3, x4 = displacements of each block from their equilibrium positions

Now, let's write the equations of motion for each block:

For block 1:
m(d^2x1/dt^2) = -k1(x1-x2) - k2x1

For blocks 2 and 3:
m(d^2x2/dt^2) = -k1(x2-x1) - k1(x2-x3)
m(d^2x3/dt^2) = -k1(x3-x2) - k1(x3-x4)

For block 4:
m(d^2x4/dt^2) = -k1(x4-x3) - k2x4

Next, let's rearrange the equations to get them in matrix form:

| m 0 0 0 | | d^2x1/dt^2 | = | -k1 -k2 0 0 | | x1 |
| 0 m 0 0 | | d^2x2/dt^2 | = | -k1 2k1 -k1 0 | | x2 |
| 0 0 m 0 | | d^2x3/dt^2 | = | 0 -k1 2k1 -k1 | | x3 |
| 0 0 0 m | | d^2x4/dt^2 | = | 0 0 -k1 -k2 | | x4 |

We can then simplify this to:

M * d^2x/dt^2 = -K * x

where M is the mass matrix and K is the stiffness matrix.

To find the equilibrium positions, we can set the second derivative terms to zero and solve for x:

M * 0 = -K * x
x = -M^-1 * K * x

This gives us the equilibrium positions for each block in terms of the stiffness constants k1 and k2. We can then plot the total length of the system (L

Related to Spring-mass system with nearest neighbor couplings

1. What is a spring-mass system with nearest neighbor couplings?

A spring-mass system with nearest neighbor couplings is a physical system that consists of a series of masses connected by springs, where each mass is only coupled to its nearest neighbor. This type of system is commonly used to model the behavior of atoms in a solid material.

2. How does the nearest neighbor coupling affect the behavior of the system?

The nearest neighbor coupling in a spring-mass system affects the behavior by allowing energy to be transferred between adjacent masses. This can lead to the formation of standing waves and other types of oscillations, which can be observed as the system undergoes vibrations.

3. What are the key parameters in a spring-mass system with nearest neighbor couplings?

The key parameters in this type of system include the masses of the individual masses, the stiffness of the springs connecting them, and the distance between each mass. These parameters determine the natural frequency and other properties of the system.

4. What are some real-world applications of a spring-mass system with nearest neighbor couplings?

Spring-mass systems with nearest neighbor couplings have many practical applications, such as in the design of buildings and bridges, where they can be used to model the behavior of structures under different types of loads. They are also used in the study of materials and their mechanical properties.

5. How can we analyze the behavior of a spring-mass system with nearest neighbor couplings?

The behavior of a spring-mass system with nearest neighbor couplings can be analyzed using mathematical models and simulations. This involves solving equations of motion and studying the system's natural frequencies, modes of vibration, and other properties. Experimental methods, such as using sensors and data analysis, can also be used to study and understand the behavior of these systems.