Spring GRE, Fall admissions. Will I get my scores in time?

In summary: If I wanted to change my focus midway through the program I think it would be much more difficult.You can change your focus, but it will be more difficult.
bhimberg
So I'm studying for the physics GRE and plan on taking it this April. While I understand the deadline for admissions to most universities is right up until the semester begins, I also understand it is a first come, first serve deal.

Are most slots going to be filled by May, when the scores are available by phone? I believe it is possible to apply without GRE scores however my GPA is low and I have little research experience (my name is on one paper, last place).

Am I right to assume that an excellent GRE score will offset my low GPA, and that I will likely have to settle for Spring enrollment since most slots will be filled by May? I'm going by the dates on this site: http://www.ets.org/gre/subject/register/centers_dates.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hard to say. I'd take the time out and individually email each school you're interested in. Some schools are extremely anal about this, others not so much.

bhimberg said:
So While I understand the deadline for admissions to most universities is right up until the semester begins,

You misunderstood. Deadlines are usually in January. (mangled quote deleted)

bhimberg said:
Am I right to assume that an excellent GRE score will offset my low GPA

It will help, but the degree of the offsetting depends on how excellent is excellent and how low is low.

bhimberg said:
I will likely have to settle for Spring enrollment

In Physics grad school there is almost no such thing. Maybe one or two places have it, but it is an exception.

Last edited:
Thanks Zina, Vanadium.

Re: Vanadium
Definitely not what I want to hear, but perhaps what I need to hear. Basically this means that my GRE scores are useless to me until next fall. This puts me in a position where I will have to apply this coming week to schools at the bottom of my list if I want to go to school this year.

If I find a school has a need for a major say in solid state and I apply with the understanding that solid state would be my focus, could I change my focus at a later date without too much hassle? My impression is that once you are invited and accept you are tied to whatever professor you initially work with until the end.

The problem is I still don't know exactly which area of physics interests me the most and apparently I have little time to find out.

I cannot provide specific information about admissions processes for universities. However, I can offer some general advice and information based on my experience and knowledge.

Firstly, it is important to note that admissions processes vary between universities and departments. Some may prioritize GRE scores, while others may place more weight on GPA and research experience. It is best to research the specific requirements and preferences of the universities you are interested in.

In terms of timing, it is true that many universities have rolling admissions and fill their slots as they receive applications. However, this does not necessarily mean that all slots will be filled by May. It is possible that some universities may still have openings after May, so it is worth applying even if your scores are not available until then.

Regarding your assumption about an excellent GRE score offsetting a low GPA, this may be true for some universities, but not all. Again, it is important to research the specific requirements and preferences of the universities you are interested in. Additionally, it may be beneficial to highlight any relevant research experience or accomplishments in your application to showcase your potential as a researcher.

Overall, my advice would be to focus on doing your best on the GRE and highlighting your strengths in your application. Keep in mind that admissions decisions are not solely based on test scores, and a well-rounded application can make a strong impression. Good luck with your studies and applications!

Related to Spring GRE, Fall admissions. Will I get my scores in time?

1. Will the Spring GRE scores be accepted for Fall admissions?

The decision to accept Spring GRE scores for Fall admissions is ultimately up to the individual universities and graduate programs. Some may accept them, while others may require applicants to have taken the exam in the previous Fall. It is important to check with the specific programs you are interested in to determine their policies.

2. How long does it take to receive GRE scores?

Typically, GRE scores are available within 10-15 days after the test date. However, it may take longer during peak testing periods. It is important to plan accordingly and take the exam with enough time to receive your scores before the application deadlines.

3. Can I send my GRE scores directly to the universities I am applying to?

Yes, you can choose to send your scores directly to the universities you are applying to when you register for the GRE. However, some universities may require official scores to be sent directly from ETS. Be sure to check with the specific programs for their requirements.

4. What if I need to retake the GRE to improve my scores?

You can retake the GRE multiple times, but keep in mind that there is a waiting period of 21 days between each attempt. It is important to plan ahead and schedule your retake with enough time to receive your scores before the application deadlines. Also, be aware that some programs may only consider your highest scores.

5. Can I use my GRE scores from a previous year for Fall admissions?

GRE scores are typically valid for five years. However, some universities may have specific policies on the age of GRE scores they will accept. It is important to check with the specific programs for their policies on score expiration.