Spring force and the force of friction

In summary, the speaker is asking for help with an assignment and has a question about the answer sheet. They are confused about why m is withdrawn from both sides and thought that the m on the left represented the mass of the small box and the m on the right represented the mass of the big box. They did not cancel out m and got the wrong answer. The speaker wants to know if the friction between the boxes is enough to accelerate the small box with the same acceleration. The answer is yes, as m represents the small box on both sides. The speaker thanks the person for their help.
curicuri
Homework Statement
A box with a mass of 20 kg is put on a vertical table that is is free from friction. On top of that box is another box with the mass of 2 kg. The friction number between the boxes are 0,35. The big box that lays on the table has a spring attached to it, that has the "spring-constant"=400N/m. The spring is attached to the wall on the other end.
Determine max amplitude that can be obtained without the small box falling off.
Relevant Equations
Ff=Fr
Hello, do someone have time to help me out with an assignment?

My question
In the answer sheet they say:

What I do not understand is why m is withdrawn from both sides, since I don't see that those represent the same mass. When I did the assignment I thought m at the left side would be the mass of the small box, and m at the right side would be the mass of the big box. That was why I did not cancel m out, which was why I got the wrong answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to know that the friction between the boxes is large enough to accelerate the small box with the same acceleration. So ##m## is the small box on both sides.

AA of course, thank you :)

Related to Spring force and the force of friction

1. What is the definition of spring force?

Spring force is a type of force that occurs when a compressed or stretched spring returns to its original length. This force is proportional to the displacement of the spring and follows Hooke's Law.

2. How is the force of friction calculated?

The force of friction is calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction (a measure of how easily two surfaces slide against each other) by the normal force (the force exerted by one object on another when they are in contact).

3. What is the relationship between spring force and the force of friction?

Spring force and the force of friction are both examples of contact forces, which means they only occur when two objects are in contact with each other. However, they are caused by different factors and have different effects on objects.

4. How do spring force and the force of friction affect motion?

Spring force can either accelerate or decelerate an object, depending on the direction of the force. The force of friction, on the other hand, always opposes motion and can cause an object to slow down or stop.

5. Can the force of friction be completely eliminated?

No, it is impossible to completely eliminate the force of friction. It is a natural phenomenon that occurs whenever two surfaces are in contact with each other. However, the force of friction can be reduced by using lubricants or smoother surfaces.