Spring energy to kinetic energy

In summary, the conversation was about using a horizontal spring to launch a box across a frictionless surface, and then calculating how far the box would slide on a rough surface before stopping. The calculation involved using the equations for kinetic energy and potential energy, as well as the work-energy theorem. However, there was a mistake in the calculation of kinetic energy due to a missing exponent, resulting in an incorrect answer.
shrutij

Homework Statement

A horizontal spring with spring constant 92.2 N/m is compressed 15.5 cm and used to launch a 2.93 kg box across a frictionless, horizontal surface. After the box travels some distance, the surface becomes rough. The coefficient of kinetic friction of the box on the surface is 0.121. How far does the box slide across the rough surface before stopping?

Homework Equations

KE=1/2mv^2
Usp=1/2kx^2
Work-energy theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

The Kinetic energy gained by the box should be equal to the potential energy stored in the spring, so 1/2kx^2=1/2mv^2, substituting all values in, I isolated for the velocity, which gave me v=2.209 m/s. This is the launch velocity once the box leaves the spring.
Since it is a frictionless surface, this speed would be maintained (and becomes v0) when the box encounters the rough patch.
The work done by friction on the rough patch should thus be equal to the initial kinetic energy of the box. i.e. with speed 2.209 m/s, KEi = 7.15 J, and W by friction= Friction * d.
Using the coefficient of kinetic friction and the normal force, kinetic friction is 3.47 N, which gave me a d (how far the box traveled before coming to a stop) to be 2.06 m, which was wrong.
Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Something's fishy with your numbers. Can you show your calculation for the KE of the launched box?

KE=Spring Potential energy
1/2mv^2=1/2 kx^2. I used this to find vf, which i then used to find KE.
so KE=1/2*2.93*2.209^2= 7.15 J.
This should be the initial KE of the box when it encounters the rough patch. Therefore, due to conservation, KEi=KEf + W done by friction. Since the final KE is 0 (box comes to rest), KEi=W
Since W= friction * d, 7.15=friction*d. I found the force of friction using the coefficient*m*g= 3.47. Therefore d=7.15/3.47=2.06m, which is wrong.

shrutij said:
KE=Spring Potential energy
1/2mv^2=1/2 kx^2. I used this to find vf, which i then used to find KE.
so KE=1/2*2.93*2.209^2= 7.15 J.
:confused: I don't understand. If the potential energy (1/2)kx2 is equal to the kinetic energy, why calculate the velocity first and then convert back to kinetic energy? Also, something's gone wrong in your math along the way. The value you ended up with for KE looks way too big.

Am I right in assuming that all the spring potential energy should be converted into KE of the box?

shrutij said:
Am I right in assuming that all the spring potential energy should be converted into KE of the box?

Yes, of course.

Great, so going from that, 1/2kx^2=KE of the box.
This gives me the same answer I got before. 1/2*92.2*0.155 = 7.15 J.
I'm not sure what I'm missing in my calculations if this KE appears too big.

shrutij said:
Great, so going from that, 1/2kx^2=KE of the box.
This gives me the same answer I got before. 1/2*92.2*0.155 = 7.15 J.
I'm not sure what I'm missing in my calculations if this KE appears too big.

It's x squared not x to the first power.

Well, I feel silly...
i'll just be happy that atleast I understood the physics right. :)
thanks!

Related to Spring energy to kinetic energy

1. What is spring energy?

Spring energy is the potential energy stored within a compressed or stretched spring. It is a form of elastic potential energy that is created when a force is applied to a spring and causes it to either compress or stretch.

2. How is spring energy converted into kinetic energy?

When a compressed or stretched spring is released, the potential energy stored within it is converted into kinetic energy. This is because the spring's elasticity causes it to return to its original shape, and this movement creates kinetic energy.

3. What factors affect the amount of kinetic energy generated from a spring?

The amount of kinetic energy generated from a spring depends on several factors, including the force used to compress or stretch the spring, the distance the spring is compressed or stretched, and the spring constant, which is a measure of the spring's stiffness.

4. Can the amount of kinetic energy generated from a spring be increased?

Yes, the amount of kinetic energy generated from a spring can be increased by increasing the force applied to the spring or by compressing or stretching the spring further. Additionally, using a spring with a higher spring constant can also result in more kinetic energy being generated.

5. What are some real-world applications of spring energy to kinetic energy?

Spring energy to kinetic energy is used in a variety of everyday objects, such as wind-up toys, pogo sticks, and trampolines. It is also utilized in more advanced technologies, such as shock absorbers in vehicles and springs in mechanical watches.